Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Introduction to Mama in Wonderland

When I first really heard about (or paid attention to) blogs, a couple of years ago, and when my husband decided to start one of his own, I told him I thought blogs were narcissistic. Now that I am blogging myself and am addicted to daily readings of quite a number of blogs (mostly of the “mommy-blogging” variety), naturally he likes to throw this quote back in my face and make fun of me for jumping onboard the blogging bandwagon (doesn’t everyone and their brother have a blog these days?). What he didn’t understand is that I meant it objectively, not as a criticism. I still think blogs are narcissistic; I mean, it seems egocentric to assume that what you have to say is fascinating enough for others to seek out and read, just because. But that doesn’t mean it’s a bad thing (or a good thing), in my mind. It just is.

So here I go, narcissistically thinking I have something to say that others might care about. Who knows? Maybe I do, maybe I don’t. I hope, at least, that our friends and families might find this blog a fun way to hear the latest updates on what Julia is doing these days (and the new baby too, in the near future). In any case, since I was hogging up Christopher’s blog all the time with my own posts, it was clearly time to take the plunge and join the blogger revolution on my own. (Welcome, any readers of Xferen who have made your way over here!)

This blog is conceived as an outlet for me to write about my thoughts and experiences related to motherhood, parenting, and pregnancy. I know, I know---it seems like every time you turn around on the Internet you find another “mommy-blog” (a term, by the way, about which I am conflicted: condescending and cutesy, or descriptive and harmless?). But hey: I’m a writer at heart, always have been, and blogging gets me writing when nothing else has. It gets me writing about the overload of musings I’ve had in my head since my daughter was born 2 years ago and I was a quivering mass of postpartum pain and exhaustion, with a lot to say but no time or energy with which to do so. Maybe even more importantly, it motivates me to record the fleeting moments of Julia’s baby/toddlerhood that I would otherwise probably forget.

Life is about to get a whole lot busier, so come along for the ride and wish me luck as I get ready to become a mama of two instead of one.

2 comments:

Questionable said...

Congrats on starting the blog. I love your Julia stories and look forward to reading more of them.

Shan said...

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoy them--I enjoy writing them!