Saturday, August 19, 2006

First Night at Home

Well, we survived our first night home from the hospital with little trauma. Genevieve did decide to stray from her model newborn behavior displayed on the maternity ward, and refused to sleep after her 1 a.m. nursing, instead keeping us up for a few hours. However, compared to Julia's first night home when she was brand new, this was a piece of cake.

I'm really tired---there is no way for me to lie down that doesn't REALLY hurt my incision, so it's hard to sleep even when the baby is sleeping---and I'm still indignant over the surprising size of my post-birth mid-section (I'm revising my post below to say that I look more like I'm still seven months pregnant, which, you know, I just didn't expect. When Julia was born my belly disappeared like magic within days. Guess I was a little optimistic to assume the same would happen now.)---but overall, life is great. Julia slept through the night last night (despite a bedtime meltdown that revealed just how sad she really is sometimes these days, not able to really understand how and why her world has changed so much so fast!), Genevieve is lovely and gorgeous, and we're all happy and healthy. What a blessing.

4 comments:

Piece of Work said...

Congratulations! Popped over from Catherine Newman's blog. OH, and I still looked 7 months preggo after BOTH kids. In fact, I was recently looking at some old photos taken a few weeks after my daughter was born, and I thought to myself: hmm, that date must be wrong. Clearly I'm pregnant in this photo, but according the the date Vivian was already born. Oops.

Shan said...

Yeah, it's pretty shocking! And the first time, pounds were dropping off me every single day, whereas this time, pretty much the only weight I've lost so far is the weight of the actual baby! By the way, I love the name Vivian. Lovely!

Donna said...

Glad to get a positive update. Please also remember that not only did you just have your second child, but you did have major surgery in your abdominal area, which will also contribute to the current state of your tummy. It will go down!

Shan said...

Thank you, Donna!!! :) We are doing really well. I hope you all are doing as well. Send a new-baby update when you can! (I'll do the same.)