Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Still Here

Well, in half a week I'll be officially at term (37 weeks), so that's a relief. Today I had my 36-week OB visit and my dr. did one last little quick ultrasound. The baby has grown into her early, large-for-gestational-age measurements, and now measures at exactly the number of weeks'/days' gestation that she actually is, which is also a relief because it means there is a little less worry of the due date having been inaccurate and thus an early labor being even more likely than I am already convinced it will be. A rough estimate of size puts her at about 6-1/4 lbs., nice and average for this point. If I make it another 2-1/2 weeks, she could very well be born at about the size Julia was (about 7-1/2 lbs.)--though these measurements can be off up to 1/2 lb. in either direction.

I asked my dr. if continuing to exercise as strenuously as I have been makes it more likely that I'll go into labor sooner, and should I therefore stop, and she said no--that there's actually no good evidence linking activity level to the beginning of labor--but you know, this is one of those cases where my intuition tells me different. I haven't stopped working out yet, but I can't help but notice that exercising gives me more Braxton-Hicks contractions, which are signs that the body is getting some action going down there. Not to mention the fact that the day I went into labor with Julia, more than 1-1/2 weeks prior to my due date, I had just finished riding my stationary bike, doing some prenatal yoga, AND lifting weights. Not that 1-1/2 weeks "early" is truly early--it's perfectly normal--but it begs the question.

In other news, we just got news today that an old college friend, whose due date was 2 days after my C-section date, had her 2nd baby yesterday, 3 weeks early. (Congratulations, guys, and welcome, baby Larisa!) She had been e-mailing me for weeks saying that she was convinced the baby would come early, while her OB was on vacation--and sure enough, she was right.

There really is something to this notion of intuition, I'm sure of it. So--heads up. I predict this baby will come before the 25th. I'm guessing the 20th--at the latest. Anyone else care to hazard a guess?

4 comments:

Christopher Tassava said...

I'll trade you my firstborn if No. 2 arrives before your mom. The 25th is my exact pick.

Shan said...

As always, you're way too calm! I hope you are right, though.

Larisa's Mom said...

I hope you're able to hold on until your OB is back in town! Not only were my OB and pediatrician out of town, but the OB who was covering for my OB didn't make it to the hospital in time. So, the OB who delivered was the third string guy who was pulled into the room because I YELLED, "I have to push!" At least there was an OB in the room this time!

Shan said...

Oh good lord, your story is hair-raising! But, since I know you, I know you did a bang-up job. :) Thanks for your good thoughts; my OB is back in town tomorrow!