Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Two-Week Status

Genevieve is two weeks old today! She celebrated early, by going four hours between feedings last evening. It was from 6-10 p.m., so I didn't get any extra sleep, but wow. I was impressed--but not naive enough to think it was anything more than a fluke. In truth, Genevieve has begun showing signs of intense nipple-adoration, wanting to suck just to fall asleep, etc., so I daresay that, unlike her big sister, this baby might actually take a pacifier in a week or two when we can introduce one. I hate the idea of paci-weaning later on, but when Julia was an infant we would have paid an awful lot of money for her to accept a pacifier rather than refusing all forms of self-soothing other than my beloved breast. I felt like a boat with a barnacle attached to it 24 hours a day.

I had my two-week post-C-section check-up today, and my doctor is pleased with how I am recovering. Outrageous appetite and all, I've lost all but seven pounds of the pregnancy weight, and my abdomen has shrunk down to a close approximation of its pre-pregnancy size once again--all hail the wonders of the nursing mom's metabolism! The pain is slight now, I can drive again, and though I still can't lift anything heavier than the baby, I've been given the okay to gradually resume exercise. By six weeks postpartum, I should be down to no activity restrictions at all. So I guess it's time to say farewell to the total slothdom I have enjoyed since giving birth. Truly, it's quite nice to not be allowed to do anything physical. Housework? Sorry, can't. Laundry? Can't. Scrub off that yucky bathtub ring? Can't, can't, can't. On the other hand, it will feel good to be able to go outside and start being active again, if only in small doses. At the end of my pregnancy I couldn't walk for exercise anymore (too painful for my burning hip ligaments), and of course for most, if not all, of it I wasn't allowed to run or bike. Right now the idea of doing anything even remotely that strenuous makes me a little lightheaded (I do still have an incision, after all, and this ridiculously generous milk production is not exactly physically comfortable), but I figure a nice little walk in the fresh air will feel nice.

All in all, it's been a good two weeks as a family of four.

No comments: