Monday, September 25, 2006

News Flash!

Are you ready for this? Last night Genevieve nursed at 8:45, and then, totally unexpectedly, didn't nurse again until THREE A.M. Did you get that? Three a.m.! That's a SIX-HOUR stretch, people. Of course, I woke up suddenly in a great deal of pain at 1:30 and had to go downstairs to pump, but still. It was amazing--and fabulous. However, the whole thing was also a little crazy because actually Genevieve cried for a couple of hours after her 8:45 nursing, probably from gas pains, and didn't fall asleep until around 11. In the meantime, I didn't go to bed until around then either, because Genna had been eating every two hours most of the day so I assumed she'd be ready to nurse again at any time. I finally went to sleep, and was totally stunned when I went downstairs at 1:30 and found Genevieve still asnooze on the couch and Christopher sitting next to her working on the computer, keeping watch. We both thought she'd wake up and scream for milk at any second. In the end, poor Christopher slept on the floor next to the couch until three when Genevieve finally woke up to eat, so loathe was he to interrupt the miraculous sleeping spell by carrying her up to her bassinet. The things parents do for some uninterrupted shut-eye....

After that, Genevieve ate again at 6 a.m. and 9 a.m. Technically then, she only woke up to nurse once during the true middle of the night. I'm not going to assume this is now her schedule, but even a one-time occurrence is great reassurance that she CAN, in fact, go long stretches at night without nursing.

Relatedly, I think I have to experiment with cutting out dairy and chocolate, to see if Genna's apparent stomach distress abates. She's been having a lot of unhappy evenings lately, which seem to be caused by gas pains and upset stomach--i.e. she spits up and burps a lot, etc. Poor thing! I've mentioned before that I'm sure some of it is the amount of air she gulps while trying to cope with my excessive milk flow, but I also know that dairy and chocolate in the mom's diet are two common causes of G.I. distress in nursing babies. You have no idea--or maybe you do--what a huge challenge this is going to be for me. Milk is fine--I can drink soy. But my ice cream??? Hello? How will I be able to go without THAT? Not to mention the chocolate.... Maybe I'll have to begin by just cutting down rather than going cold turkey. I'll keep you posted.

5 comments:

donna said...

Congrats on the 6 hour stretch! I have yet to experience one of those. Baby is going through another growth spurt (get ready!) and so she's been 'off' and nursing more at night and sleeping more during the day. I'd read about the milk and chocolate potentially causing gas but have yet to try it out myself as Baby is also gassy (but I also have a lot of milk and she thus experiences the resuling gulping)... I've cut out things liek curry and very spicy food, which does seem to help. I don't dare do the milk or chocolate... yet.

Shan said...

Not another growth spurt! If Genna grows anymore she'll be bigger than I am. ;) As for the milk and chocolate....I hate to do it, but I feel I must try. I'll keep you posted.

Elise said...

If you do cut out the dairy, I highly recommend Tofutti Cuties - they're soymilk ice cream sandwiches, and they're sooooo yummy.

Heidi said...

I think Genna just prefers sleeping on the couch to sleeping in the bassinet! Beware *that* habit, once she starts moving at all.... (Big sis/Auntie lending unsolicited advice!)

Shan said...

Thanks for the tip, Elise--I've heard of those! Yum. And Heidi--I know--we learned our lesson when Julia rolled off the couch onto our hardwood floor in Minneapolis....:( (oops.)