Saturday, September 09, 2006

Not a Good Milestone

Last night Genevieve had her first night of being driven around in the car at 1 a.m. in a desperate attempt to get her to stop crying and go to sleep. (Right here, insert many sad faces and big sighs.) She had been awake all evening/night, was extremely unhappy, and nothing was doing the trick--not nursing, not burping, not getting her diaper changed, not rocking, not singing, not giving her Simethicone, nothing. It was a bad flashback to June '04, I tell you. Especially since I'd slept next to not at all the night before due to her hourly nursing rush. I still can't quite believe we had to resort to the middle-of-the-night driving thing (well, it was Christopher doing the driving, since someone had to stay home with Julia). I had just been saying, a week ago, how wonderful and amazing it was that we didn't have any of those things going on with this baby as opposed to with our first. (Of COURSE I was just saying that, right? Did you hear the ominous music in the background when I said it, warning me that only a FOOL goes ahead and talks like that out loud, just ASKING to be jinxed?)

Now, given that Genevieve is three weeks old and we've had a few tiresome fussy evenings lately...I'm just a little terrified of the C-WORD. (I'll whisper it for you in case you didn't get it: colic.) Were Genna's first three weeks just a little too easy to be true?

Tune in to find out, and in the meantime, say a little prayer for us.

3 comments:

Elise said...

Dude, I am totally serious: you NEED to get the Happiest Baby on the Block, stat. Those midnight driving trips are icky.

Shan said...

Luckily last night wasn't "normal" again. I only resist the book b/c as a secondtime parent I am totally burned out on reading parenting books! Esp. since NO parenting books' advice actually worked with Julia. But maybe I can borrow it from you....

Shan said...

Oops, I meant, last night WAS normal again--no crying for hours....