Sunday, September 24, 2006

Target Days (Daze)

Today I went to Target for what I think was maybe the 4th time in a week that someone in our household has gone to Target. I should keep track some time, just for fun and horrors. You see, I chalk it all up to the supreme disorganization that arrives in one's household once one has two babies at the same time. We thought we had moments of disorganization before? We thought we were busy and distracted with just a toddler to keep track of? Oh, how little we knew. These days, it seems like at least one of us is half asleep all the time (usually me), and the other is too busy wrangling carseats and wet diapers and burp cloths and toys to think straight. Then we switch places.

Anyway, the end result is that we never, EVER, remember to put everything we need on the shopping list. Consequently, our weeks tend to go something like this: Go to Target for size one diapers for the newborn. Spend an extra fifty dollars once there on things you didn't remember you also needed until you were in the store--paper towels, laundry soap, cat litter, toothpaste. The next day, realize you are out of milk. Go back to Target and get a gallon of milk, picking up fall shoes for Julia at the same time. Two days later, realize no one checked on the diaper-wipe supply, and see that we are almost out of wipes. Go back to Target. A day or so later, realize that though we just bought two big bales of size one diapers for the newborn, we forgot that we are running low on the big diapers for the toddler. Go back to Target.

See what I mean? Today at Target I overheard a funny, very apt comment, though. One woman enthusiastically said hello to another woman, clearly a friend or acquaintance she had just run into unexpectedly. The second woman took a minute to hear and respond to her, and then apologized, "Sorry! I'm in my Target daze!" The first woman laughed and nodded knowingly, as did I from my vantage point at the end of the aisle. Ah yes, the Target daze--aren't we ALL familiar with it? What else could explain that tendency to come in with a concise list, swearing it will be a fast in-and-out, but instead end up wandering happily through the "bagged candy" aisle? The cosmetics section? The racks of stretchy t-shirts and clearance baby clothes? And who put that hefty package of mini York Peppermint Patties in my cart?

Well, anyway.

This morning (before heading to Target) I was re-making Julia's bed. She said, "Mama making my bed!" and I said, "Yes, I am." Then she said, in the most cheery, singsong voice, "How NICE, Mama!" When I laughed, she said, "I love Mama!" "I love you, too!" I told her, and just in case I hadn't gotten it the first time, she said, "I love Mama TOO!" Not a bad way to start the day, you know?

And, by the way--what a day it is. Sunny, clear, about 60 degrees, with a cool crisp breeze but a nice warm glow from the sunshine, and the sky is a vibrant shade of blue. The leaves are starting to turn yellow along Woodley Street, so everything looks golden and lovely. Truly, a perfect September day. It might be time to go buy gourds and pumpkins at the stand next to the little hardware store downtown to decorate our mantle and doorstep. We promised Julia she could help pick some out.

Happy Autumn!

2 comments:

donna said...

I feel like I'm reading my own thoughts! :) Just see all those trips to Target as an excuse to get out; that's what I do. Who would have thought that Target would be so intereting? Not me 5 years ago, that's for sure!

Shan said...

Oh, I know---I adore going to Target (even multiple times in one week)! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with the multiple-shopping-trip habit!!!