Wednesday, October 04, 2006

No Chocolate but Plenty of Love and Cuteness

Brief update: I've survived 2-1/2 days on my elimination diet of no dairy, no caffeine, and no chocolate. Actually I'm not eliminating cheese that may be an ingredient in something else, like burritos or the spinach-feta pie we ate last night for dinner, since that makes up a relatively small part of my diet and it just doesn't seem important enough to avoid. It's more the milk and ice cream thing. Anyway, I only had a bad caffeine headache on day one, Monday. Yesterday I had a minor headache, but nothing too terrible. I do have to say, though, that I was VERY tired both Monday and Tuesday. Today I feel better. It hasn't been as hard as I anticipated to abstain from chocolate and the cookies & cream ice cream in the freezer, but then again, it's only been 2-1/2 days.

As for Genevieve? She hasn't had any major screaming fits, but once again, it's only been 2-1/2 days. And she had many, many "good" days/nights when I WAS consuming the above substances, too, so it's too early to tell.

Last night at about 3 a.m., however, after nursing on one side, Genevieve decided it was party time. After awhile, it devolved into crying and fussing before she deigned to go back to sleep, but at first it was like having a jolly miniature clown in the bedroom. There was laughter, there was singing....OK, there wasn't any singing. But I did laugh out loud a few times, because Genevieve started grinning up at me with such aplomb, eyes shining in the dark and her mouth wide open with joy--practically giggling--that you would have thought we'd just been reunited after a transatlantic separation or something. I kept trying to offer her the nipple, and she kept ignoring it, instead wriggling with joy, cooing and letting out these hilarious little barks of glee, staring at me intently and squinching up her little eyes with elation. Wow, to be so happy at three in the morning--you've got to admire her spirit, don't you? In contrast, I was all like, OK, we've established that you're hilarious and adorable and obviously happy to see me, can we just both go back to sleep now and continue the love-fest at, oh, 8 a.m.?

No comments: