Saturday, October 07, 2006

Results of the Experiment

People! The results are in. Seven days without dairy, chocolate, or caffeine: seven days without baby Genevieve having any evening gas-pain scream-attacks. Can you believe it? NOT ONE. No inconsolable shrieking and writhing around, no desperate attempts to swaddle, walk, bounce, rock; no 10 p.m. (or 2 a.m.) car rides. Wow. Just can't be a coincidence, you know? Personally, my money's on the dairy, since it's the most common culprit in nursing moms' diets when it comes to producing gas and colic in infants. But, who knows--it could be any, or all, of the above.

So, what now? The plan was to slowly re-introduce these substances, one at a time, and check for Genevieve's reaction. I was going to start with dairy, because of the three, it's the one that's a true, bona fide nutritious food group (you know, the Dairy Queen Blizzard food group). But I tell you, I'm a little loathe to rock the boat. On the other hand, I plan to nurse this baby for at least another year, which is a long time to go without milk, ice cream, chocolate, and full-on coffee. I mean, really now--isn't the cutting open of the abdomen and the all-night nursing and the surging hormones and the sore nipples and the lack of free time and the other-worldly exhaustion and the spending of all the money on diapers rather than movies and magazines sacrifice enough? We have to do away with Diet Coke for a year as well? (And by the way, caffeine-free has nothing on the original. They do NOT taste the same, and don't try to tell me different.)

So anyway, I think I'll try a little milk today. I'll let you know what happens.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Personally, I'd go for the caffeine first, b/c it seems to me the *least* likely of the 3 to have caused Genna's tummy pains. If that goes fine for a week, then I'd try a *litle* chocolate. I agree w/ you that the most *likely* culprit is the milk. You may not have to steer clear of it the whole year you nurse; just give her tummy a little more time to mature and then try it (in small quantities) again. That's *my* 2-cents worth!

Shan said...

Hmmm, good point. I did go ahead and have a glass of milk today, however. I decided to wait on the caffeine because 1) it seems like she is sleeping more now that I'm off it--not that she was ever not sleeping well, but it seems like she's napping even more now--, and 2) as I know from experience, once you've gone through withdrawal, you don't miss it (well, other than the taste of Diet Coke that is). I thought if I did milk this week and she reacted to it, at least I'd know right away what the problem was. As for the chocolate, I think I'm trying to avoid finding out something I dont want to find out! ;)

Shan said...

But maybe Heidi is right--why start with something that is most likely to cause problems? If I start with the least likely culprit(s), at least I'll get more cry-free days before any adverse reaction....