Monday, November 27, 2006

Fine Grind

This evening, after we finally successfully got both girls to bed and asleep--no small feat--Christopher went outside to grind some coffee beans for tomorrow morning, so loath was he to disrupt the quiet and chance waking a snoozing babe. Our former pediatrician in the Cities (whom we adored, by the way), used to tell us, when Julia was an infant, that our household should not revolve around the baby sleeping or not sleeping--that if we were manipulating our normal daily activities in various ridiculous ways solely to try to keep the baby asleep, that things were not working for us. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't approve.

4 comments:

Christopher said...

To my mind, not having coffee would be a true rearrangement of my routine. Being outside in the cool dark for five minutes is my lame-ass equivalent of driving over to my dealer to score some weed.

Elise said...

Heh. I made my stepdad do the same thing this summer at the cottage. Of course, that place has no wall insulation - hell, it hardly has walls - but same idea. Sometimes, it's just easier to change your routine than to get the kid back to sleep.

Donna said...

It also depends on how sound sleepers the children are. My son is a heavy sleeper; I could vacuum under his crib while he slept. My daughter wakes at the slighest sound (which is usually her not-so-slight-of-sound brother). I wish we could train her to be a heavier sleeper but I just don't think it works that way. So, if I'd read this when my son was a baby, I would have thought you were crazy. But after having my daughter (and also having the challenge of getting both kids to sleep at a reasonable hour!), I completely understand!

Shan said...

Yep--all our friends and family know the stories about how when Julia was a baby, she was awakened at various times by the following: the toilet flushing on the 1st floor when she was asleep on the 2nd, me setting a glass down on the kitchen counter a little too hard, the sound of someone putting ice cubes into a glass, and, most spectacularly, me lifting the toilet lid so it tapped against the tank (when her room and the bathroom were one wall apart). Sigh. She definitely won some sort of prize for lightest sleeper in the entire world. Dubious achievement if you ask me.