Sunday, November 05, 2006

Pass the Antibacterial Soap

I won't tell you anything about it, because the details are too hideously disgusting for anyone to want to hear them. All I will say is, the barfing flu hit our household on Saturday night, and if you've never tended a two-year-old who is throwing up every fifteen minutes for eight straight overnight hours, get down on your knees and thank whatever god you believe in. Twenty-four hours, ten million loads of laundry, and a grape Popsicle later, the toddler seems to be on the mend. I'm not sure how long it will take for Christopher and me to recover, however, from our post-traumatic flashbacks of the carnage.

Another parenting rite of passage, down.

6 comments:

Heidi said...

Been there, done that. Not every 15 minutes for 8 hours (I think I would be taking my kid to Urgent Care or the ER if that happened), but even just once is thoroughly disgusting. But as a parent you just do what ya gotta do and buck up and stomach it (no pun intended!... well, yeah, it *was* intended! LOL).

Shan said...

Yes, we did have to call the on-call pediatrician, but since she had no fever or other symptoms and was doing okay otherwise, they weren't concerned enough to have us come in. Luckily all turned out fine. Yucky.

Donna said...

Yes, definitely a rite of passage for parents. Get out that carpet cleaner! (I'm telling you, Oxi Clean carpet cleaner is the best!)

Shan said...

Sigh. Since Julia just started throwing up again (at about 5 p.m. on Monday), I think we'd better get us some Oxi-Clean. Christopher wants to know how much stock you own in the Oxi-Clean company, Donna.

Jordan said...

All I can say about this is, if she is the only one who got it, count your blessings! I sincerely hope it starts and ends with Julia. I always just feel lucky if all four of us don't have it at the same time...if we can get it over the span of two disgusting weeks, I prefer that. We did the ER last summer, too, for dehydration - avoid that at all costs...all I'll say is that Baxter wasn't too keen on where they had to put that suppository...

Shan said...

I know, I'm so grateful (so far) that none of the rest of us have caught this bug...but at the same time I'm terrified that we will. Those who know me well know that I have a near-clinical fear of throwing up, so I keep worrying that I'll be next. Of course my biggest worry is Genevieve, but she seems fine so far--maybe all that breast-milk immunity?