Monday, December 18, 2006

Four-Month Check-Up

Genevieve had her four-month well-baby doctor appointment this morning, and she continues to be a total overachiever in the growth department. She's gained almost three pounds since her two-month visit, topping the scales at 14 pounds, 15 ounces, and measuring 25 inches in length (1-1/2 inches longer than last time). She's at the 75th percentile for height, weight, and head circumference. She's also more than a pound heavier than Julia was at the same age, and a half inch longer. It's fascinating to me to witness how different babies grow. I have a friend in playgroup whose baby was born a week before Genevieve, and she's absolutely tiny in comparison; you'd never guess they're the same age.

Our pediatrician pronounced Genevieve "perfect" (LOVED the giant chipmunk-cheeks!), and I got all the usual reassurances about normal baby development, including our doctor's strong professional opinion that most breastfed babies still need to wake up to nurse overnight until they're six or seven months old. I love it when doctors have strong opinions and, though supportive and courteous, brook no nonsense and just lay it on the table for you: Yep, she's supposed to be waking up to nurse still; that's what babies do, she's hungry and growing and I think training a baby to sleeping through the night at four months old is ridiculous. Makes me feel better about all my interrupted sleep.

Of course, Genevieve got the requisite four shots. Julia insisted on giving her a hug and a kiss on the cheek afterward, saying, "It's OK, Genevievey." The nurse was thoroughly charmed, and said, "Sweet moments like those are why I chose to work in pediatrics!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am of course of the "old school" that never heard of "training" babies to sleep. They sleep through the night when they are ready to do so and not a day (or a night) earlier! Some sleep long hours ridiculously early, others take way too much time! But eventually all of us accomplish the task!

Shan said...

Very true. Today, though, "sleep training" is ubiquitous. It's just a common part of modern parenthood! But I sure don't like it! I wonder why it ever developed into such a common parenting issue....?

Donna said...

Isn't it amazing how different kids can be? At 4 months, my kids had a difference of 1/2 an inch length, but 2 pounds in weight! Yes, my son was a glorious chubbo! And he slept through the night at a very young age.

I think part of the sleeping through the night desire comes from working moms. At least in my experience, seems like the working moms are more vocal about (and unhappy with) their babies not sleeping through the night...

Shan said...

That makes a lot of sense, Donna. It would help explain some of the generational disparity when it comes to "sleep training." Hmmm. Interesting. As for babies, chubbos sure are glorious, aren't they?!