Thursday, December 21, 2006

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

A few updates:

It's pouring rain here, though I hear it's starting to turn to ice outside. Still no snow, so I'm looking out the window at greenish-brown grass. In Minnesota. Just a few days before Christmas.

Tomorrow I begin the great organize-and-pack-a-thon (a true challenge with a baby and a toddler along for the task), and Saturday morning we take off for the big drive north. Wish us luck--again--because, as you are well aware by now, Julia never, ever, ever sleeps in the car (300+ miles be damned), and Genevieve, well, she's a wild card right now, what with the nursing and everything.

I won't be doing much blogging in the next week, as we celebrate Christmas with my entire family and then put on a festive anniversary party for my parents on the 30th. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year in advance!

Resolutions, anyone? This New Year's I am resolving to do whatever I can to make it possible to continue to stay home full-time with my girls and NOT have to also take on a second job. Yes, I consider full-time parenting, childcare, and household-running one job, and anything else for pay would be my second job. I don't want two jobs right now. I just don't. I'm too tired. So, I resolve to figure something out, whether it be cutting our grocery bill (our single biggest non-fixed expense--Julia goes through the fruit and veggies like you would not BELIEVE), giving up my cell phone, or even just making peace with the notion of actually using our scant savings to make up the difference each month between our income and our expenses (rather than leaving it alone for the potential great emergency)--until it runs out, that is. Or maybe my resolution should be to trust the universe, and know that it will all work out somehow. In any case, my avoid-second-job resolution also includes the desire to never again be in a situation where I need new underwear but actually put off buying it because the checking account balance is so, so low. People, I never want to be in that situation again.

On a cheerier note, here are a few nuggets about the girls. Genevieve can sit by herself in the middle of two stacked Boppys, surveying her domain with joy and awe, for about ten minutes before I find her fallen over backward, pillows shifted. She is drooling like mad these days, and has some sort of odd love-hate relationship with burp cloths and drool bibs: she must have them, and stuff them into her mouth like a maniac, but then she gets very, very angry with them, and cries. She loves loves loves Julia, and grins like crazy when she sees her or gets a kiss from her. When we go in to get her in the morning, Julia runs up to the porta-crib and says, "Good morning, Genevievey!" like her heart is about to burst with joy to see her baby sister again.

Julia is extremely excited about Santa. She thinks it is amazing that he is going to bring her presents, and she is also very curious about his reindeer. I don't think she quite gets the whole down-the-chimney part, though.

That's all, folks. Happy Holidays, be well, peace.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Sounds like a great resolution to me: the job part, the underwear part, and *esp.* the trusting-"the-universe" part. (In the words of a profound reading I found recently, the heart "pumping the blood of life through the universe" is that of the God-Child whose birth we are about to celebrate.)

Shan said...

I know God would want me to have new underwear, too. I am SURE of it. Believe me, anyone would.

Heidi said...

Ah, dear sister, new underwear is just the *beginning* of what God wants you to have!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

Has anyone bought this young woman some new underwear for Christmas??