Thursday, December 07, 2006

I Hate Blue Cross Blue Shield

We got Genevieve's new medicine last night. Turns out, when Blue Cross said (finally) that they would "cover" the prescription, they meant they would cover it at some mysterious crappy rate that they save for medications they don't believe in subsidizing fully. Oh, and you can tack on a new prescription for me, that Blue Cross also doesn't believe in subsidizing at their normal rate. Therefore, instead of the $10 co-pays we have paid in the past for our prescriptions, we paid $50 for one and $40 for the other. Yep, $90 for medicines that we will need on an ongoing, long-term basis. I am not feeling the Christmas spirit. Nor, apparently, is anyone at Blue Cross.

Unrelated to the expense, get this: This new medicine of Genevieve's? Could it be any less conducive to giving to an infant? It's like some sort of weird high-school-science-lab experiment. It comes in packets of granules, that you mix with water and then drink as fast as you can. Crazy enough, right? (Have those chemists HEARD of pills? tablets? liquid?) But for a 3-month-old, you can only give HALF the packet, mixed into ONE AND A HALF TEASPOONS of water. What? Half the packet? Am I supposed to have a chemist's scale in my kitchen? Mix it into 1-1/2 tsp. of water? With what, a toothpick? Drink it as fast as possible (and "if any granules are left, mix with more water and drink immediately")? Mmmm-hmmm. Makes me want to say to whomever came up with this brilliant drug-administering plan, Listen, YOU come over and try to pour granules-in-water down my infant's throat as fast as possible and see how successful YOU are. Makes me actually miss, already, the nasty-tasting, not-fully-working, baby-Zantac we've been giving her until now, the medicine we are replacing because it's not controlling her reflux symptoms anymore. Sure, it tasted so bad she spit half of it out all the time, but at least we didn't have to PREPARE it with, I don't know, fairy dust and a test tube.

I know we're lucky to have any sort of health coverage at all, and I am grateful for that. However. This is the crappiest health insurance I have ever had, including the student plan I had in graduate school at the University of Illinois. Every time I go to the doctor, let alone stay in the hospital to have a baby via C-section, the bills that follow me home are staggering. At risk of straying into a topic you don't want to think about, you should have seen the bill I got for pursuing a particular form of birth control after Genevieve's birth. God forbid my health plan actually cover a preventive health behavior (to avoid, I should point out, another very expensive hospital stay to have another baby). It's like Blue Cross doesn't think anything is worthy of reasonable reimbursement.

ARRRGH! I hate them!

5 comments:

Donna said...

I'd suggest using a dropper to administer the meds to Genna. Or can you put it into the bottle nipple (just the nipple) and have her take it like that? Yes, definitely not baby (or child)-friendly instructions!!!

Shan said...

I'm already in touch with the dr. (who doesn't work today) to get it prescribed differently, b/c I found out from a friend that HER baby took the same medicine, but in liquid form! So don't ask me why we got it prescribed in this ridiculous manner. I tried to give it to her this a.m. and half of it went down her shirt. And it was a total mess to mix up. Crazy! (We have a dropper, syringe, and medicine spoon, and none are too helpful--but I've never tried a bottle nipple. I actually don't think the grains of medicine would go through the nipple hole. They don't dissolve.) I'll keep you posted!

Heidi said...

I was going to suggest starting her just a tad early on some "frist foods" baby food and mixing it in. But if you're going to get a different form, it's a moot point.

Cathy said...

When we were in China, Anya was very sick with some unknown illness, one of the side effects being that she wouldn't eat. We were given *five* different medicines for her from a local clinic (no doctors where we were), including a bag of Chinese Herbs, no further information given. We were told to mix all into her bottle and give it to her twice a day. It turned the formula dark gray. And since part of the problem was that Anya wasn't eating in the first place, trying to convince her to take something that even we found alarming was downright impossible. I imagine there are parents world-wide right now giving their children strange medicines in strange forms, hoping that as long as it works, it will be worth all the mess and the misery. It would be nice if more chemists and doctors could take these struggles into account when creating these "cures" in the first place.

Saunar Buboy said...

Nice article. very interesting, thanks for sharing.

Prudential Life