Tuesday, December 12, 2006

I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

We have this "Christmas Mix" CD Christopher burned a year or so ago, with all the classics on it: Andy Williams, Bing Crosby, Doris Day, etc. It's great, in a total retro way. But what's so funny is how much Julia adores it. She's totally crazy for it, and requests it by name in her own little way: "Mama, I want to hear the regular Christmas music, with the words." (As opposed to an instrumental Christmas CD I also play sometimes.) She loves "Frosty the Snowman" and "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" (though for quite some time she referred to him as "Rude Elf" before getting it right), but what cracks me up is how she also knows, and waits for, "Winter Wonderland" and "Sleigh Ride" and "White Christmas." Yesterday she said to me, "I'M having a holly jolly Christmas, Mama!" I'm so glad. But, you know, we're still waiting for a white Christmas here in southern MN. I think in most of MN, actually! Crazy.

In other news, the story is way too absurd and annoying to tell in detail--involving phone conversations on Friday with one doctor, two nurses (all three of which were incensed at this insanity, by the way; it wasn't our clinic's fault), and FOUR pharmacists at two different pharmacies--but we finally got Genevieve her medication in LIQUID form, the dosage just 1 cc, once per day, and grape-flavored. No granules, no packets, no mixing up in my kitchen like a sorcerer. Um, yeah. Turns out our good friend got liquid Prevacid easily and immediately (in another town) when HER baby had reflux several months ago. Don't ask me why, for us, this turned into some ridiculous wild goose chase. Since Genna has only had the correct, new medicine for a few days, we don't really know yet how effective it is going to be for her. She's still spitting up a lot and isn't napping well. But we've got our fingers crossed. Poor thing, she also caught her daddy's cold--though, thankfully, not his recent stomach bug. (It's true! Christopher actually GOT SICK the other day!)

I don't know about you, but after all this, I'm ready for a nice, white Christmas and a little relaxation. (There IS no relaxation when you have a newborn and a 2-year-old, by the way. This is wishful thinking on my part. And by the way, can I still refer to Genna Rose as a newborn? Probably not. She's four months old on Friday. But humor me.) I've got our holiday cards mailed, Christmas cookies baked for gifts to friends, neighbors, and co-workers, all the presents bought and wrapped. Holly jolly Christmas, indeed.

No comments: