Wednesday, December 06, 2006

That Dryer Thing? It WORKS.

It's been a crappy day in Wonderland. Genevieve has been uncharacteristically crying most of the day (she never does that during daytime!) and has only napped in 10-minute snatches. I suppose it's her reflux. Blue Cross just this afternoon agreed to cover her new prescription, so she hasn't been able to start her new medicine yet even though it's been five days since it was prescribed. (Don't EVEN get me started on evil insurance companies. Hello, how can any human being hear the sentence, "Please, my baby NEEDS HER MEDICINE!" and not respond?)

But out of desperation I just put her in her carseat, covered her with a blanket, placed the seat on top of the dryer, and turned it on. And now she is sleeping.

[An aside: I'm sure I don't need to tell you that when we tried this tactic with infant Julia, it did not work.]

More updates later, but I do want to say a big thanks to all the loved ones who expressed concern, support, and ideas regarding our tight money situation. I just wish the ideas didn't so much involve, you know, WORKING. (Kidding! I love you all!)

Many people have suggested ways to work and also stay home full-time (like I did until last June). I guess I'm spoiled and lazy, because the idea of working, on top of working all day long at my primary job--the job that involves babies crying all day long and three loads of poopy laundry in one morning and the skipping of lunch because OOPS! you didn't ever have time to eat it, and oh yeah, the toddler tantruming and the cat puking and the frantic attempts to cook dinner and nurse the baby at the same time--makes me feel so hopeless and exhausted that I just want to cry. Right now, in the evenings, do you know what I do? I take my bath and put on my pj's by 7 p.m., and I try really hard to stay awake until 9 so I can watch Studio 60, and then all night long I nurse the baby whenever she wakes up even though I'm dying of tiredness. Yep. Don't I sound like the ideal evening-hours, part-time employee? I'm sure I'm the model of clear-headed productivity. (Remember, I'm the one who left the bag of presents in the cart in the Target parking lot, and drove away?)

Sorry. I really, really do appreciate the suggestions and the concern. What I would really like is to find some freelance writing and/or consulting work that I could do from home, at whatever god-awful hour works for me. But hey, who wouldn't, right?, and if you have even the slightest clue as to how to find that sort of work, let me know. I feel very overeducated and overqualified these days, but I still don't know how to find someone who needs my skills and will pay me (anything! any little thing!) to, say, write or edit or research something for them, or design an eating-disorders prevention program, or write an emotional/behavioral health training manual for teachers, or develop guidelines for chemical health coordination in public schools. I can do all those things, but I don't know that anyone's willing (or able) to part with funds to hire me to do them.

I forgot there were clothes in the dryer, but shrinkage be damned, that thing is going to run continuously all afternoon if it keeps the baby asleep. Bye for now.

4 comments:

Jim said...

If the baby contiues to sleep on the dryer with it running turn it to a non-heat cycle to save electricity!

Shan said...

Ha! Good idea! Why didn't I think of that? However, it only lasted 20 minutes, so I don't know that it will become the miracle nap-inducer that I had hoped!

Donna said...

You had me thinking about using the dryer for my baby... but since it only worked for 20 minutes, we won't be trying it (esp since our dryer is outside).

Donna said...

By the way, pregnant brain? It never goes away, does it? I definitely have mom-with-two-kids-brain right now! It's a wonder I can get through the day sometimes (the kids - they are fine and well cared for. It's me that isn't!).