Wednesday, January 17, 2007

I Just Discovered I Have a Phobia of Mice

People, I just saw a mouse in the house. Did you hear me? A MOUSE. IN my house! I opened the storage closet--a big, nice, walk-in, well-lit, carpeted closet, mind you, not a dank space in some basement somewhere (we don't even have a basement)--a closet I go into all the time, as it is where we keep things like gift-wrapping supplies, Genna's carseat, my hand weights for working out, bags of outgrown baby clothes to give away, etc....and a small dark mouse scurried toward the back of the closet as fast as his creepy little legs could carry him. I screamed inside my head (Julia is napping) and called Christopher at work to be appropriately hysterical to someone other than my infant daughter. I am alone in the house with this mouse! It could be living in our sleeping bags! You know what? A mouse outside, running around in the bushes? Fine. A mouse running around INSIDE MY HOUSE? So, SO not fine.

8 comments:

Heidi said...

You need a cat! Windom killed *several* mice for me in our townhouse in Springfield. Of course, then he would *bring* them to me, like a present!!

Shan said...

Are you forgetting that we DO have a cat? She's useless!

Donna said...

I don't need to see a mouse in my house to know that I have a phobia of mice.

As for the cat, I loved Heidi's comment, esp since our cat has taken to bringing me 'presents' in the form of dead geckos. Ugh.

Jordan said...

Mice suck. We had tons of them in Boston - big, nasty, city mice that may have been rats - I've never recovered. Imagine waking up to a couple of them running around under your bed! If only they'd eaten the roaches. Eesh, those were some special years.

Shan said...

Jordan, you've just totally traumatized me. The thought of waking up to mice--or rats--under one's bed is so horrifying I think I'm going to have nightmares tonight!

Christopher said...

Note to self: return set of tiny stuffed toy mice; find different birthday present for Shannon.

Jordan said...

Well, you know. I do what I can.

That's not even the worst of it but I won't traumatize you further. Suffice it to say, I'm still a little jumpy. But, hey... what's two years of your life?

You can see why we chose a hermetically sealed 9th floor apartment when we moved to San Francisco!

Shan said...

Yeah, during my first year of grad school I lived in a cockroach-infested apartment in Chicago, which was nightmare-inducing as well. But somehow mice are worse.