Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Literary Debut

Today Julia and I took Genevieve to Baby Lap-sit Storytime at the library. It's for babies ages six to 24 months, so this was Genevieve's first storytime adventure of her own--as an awake, alert, interested infant (rather than as a sleeping newborn in an infant carseat during Julia's Preschool Storytime outings last fall). Older siblings are allowed to tag along to Baby Lap-sit, and the session is still pretty entertaining for two-to-three-year-olds. We sat in a circle on the floor and sang some action songs, bounced the babies to some rhymes, and read a few board books. Genevieve was the youngest baby there, and Julia was the oldest child (she was the only older sibling along). I think they both had a fun time; Genevieve grinned and slobbered, and Julia did all the actions and turned the pages of the books.

What really amazed me was the thought that occurred to me as I sat there with both girls--that last year at this exact time I came to Baby Lap-sit too, but for Julia, not for Genevieve. Julia was the baby on my lap then, learning the drill at our new town's library, meeting the other babies who we to this day see at toddler class, the park, the store, all of them toddlers now, some of them with new baby sisters or brothers too. I know it's a total cliche, but wow, time really flies, you know? The library's the same, the librarian leading the storytime session is the same, the sky and the snow look the same, and yet there I was with a whole new person on my lap, and a much bigger one at my side. How can it be?!

2 comments:

Heidi--pesky big sister! said...

I just had to laugh and draw to your attention that you wrote "LIBARY"!---just like little kids say it! I know it was a typo but I had to give you a bad time! (In the last paragraph.)

Shan said...

Oops. Libary! That's pretty funny. I'd better go in and change it!