Tuesday, February 06, 2007

More Milestones

I'm proud of my girls these days. Genevieve, after much sorrow and strife, has finally succumbed (for now, that is! I almost hate to say anything about it for fear of the dreaded jinx!) to a two-night-nursings schedule and now goes to bed at 6:30 p.m., nurses around 10 or 11, again around 3 a.m., and then wakes up around 7 or 7:30. Yes, she's given up the dream of nonstop overnight snacking. It was tough, but she's done it. Since she's not even quite six months old, I'm fine with nursing her twice overnight for awhile yet. Though I know many would disagree, I personally don't think she's old enough to be expected to sleep 12 or 13 hours without nursing at all. And, after that most recent spate of constant overnight nursing, I now suddenly feel like I'm getting a lot of sleep. "A lot," of course, being a VERY relative term.

And Julia? Well, she can spell "Julia," "Mama," and "Daddy" on command, and tell you what letter at least ten words begin with. She also just learned how to hold up her fingers to show you 1 through 5. But what I'm most proud of is how she's learning to stand up for herself. Timid and reserved by nature, she's the kind of toddler who doesn't know how to react when other children take toys away from her; she's mainly stunned and hurt that anyone would do such a thing. So not long ago I began teaching her what she can do when this happens. Yesterday at playgroup she amazed all of us mamas. Julia's good buddy Nicholas cheerfully tried to grab a block from her hand, and we all paused as we noticed Julia's hurt face and heard her gasp in confusion for a moment. Everyone was silent for several seconds as Julia worked very hard to slowly and carefully get out the words, "N-no, I'm playing with this. You can have it when I'm done." I swear, my fellow mama friends and I practically applauded.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

That's pretty awesome--on *all* counts! Geez, now if Julia goes to sleep at 7 or 7:30 you and Christopher can actually have 2-1/2 or 3 uninterrupted hours together!!!

Donna said...

Congrats, Julia! No doubt your psychologist mother will continue to encourage your assertive behavior!