Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Six-Month Stats

Today I took Genevieve for her six-month check-up. Because Christopher had to work last weekend, he took the afternoon off today so he could stay home with Julia during her naptime while I took Genna to the doctor. Boy, did it seem like a breeze to take only one child to the pediatrician at a time! I actually got to converse with the doctor rather than distractedly entertain both an infant and a toddler in the exam room.

Anyway, Genevieve and her chubby, chubby thighs (and cheeks) charmed everyone in sight. The baby chub is just so outstanding, and so irresistible, that strangers stop to ooh and aah. People have to fight to keep their hands to themselves, you can tell. Everyone just wants to give her a squeeze, and can I blame them? No, I cannot.

Genevieve is still at the 75th percentile for height and weight, tipping the scales at 17 pounds, 6 ounces and stretching out to a whopping 26-1/2 inches in length. She's growing wonderfully and looks fabulously healthy--all pink skin, wide eyes, and roly-poly arms and legs--despite her chronic sensitive stomach.

True to wonderful form, our great doctor--about my age and mom to twin one-year-old boys--was totally blase about nursing at night (or not), crying it out (or not), and sleep training in general. I adore her! I was starting to get all stressed out about nursing to sleep (sometimes yes, sometimes no in our house), waking at night (yes), sleeping in our room (yes, for now), blah blah blah--but I was noncommittal when it came to what we should do about any of it. I was glad that our dear pediatrician basically thinks whatever we choose to do, whenever we do it, will work out just fine in the end. That's what I think too, deep down inside, but it's easy to get worked up about it sometimes. That's not to say we aren't planning on tweaking things a bit around this joint sometime soon, but I think we're feeling more laidback about it now--not to mention, this time around with the second baby and all.

It's sunny and 50 degrees here, so it's time to stop typing and start frolicking outside with two small girls. Six months--not to mention two years, eight months--is a great age, and I'm going to go and enjoy it.

No comments: