Tuesday, March 20, 2007

W as in Why Didn't I Keep My Own Last Name?

Both Julia and Genevieve take medicine daily for chronic medical conditions, so Julia has had many opportunities to overhear me on the phone to the pharmacy calling in a prescription refill. This morning during playtime, she told me she had to call the pharmacist to get more medicine for her teddy bear, Julia Bear. Then she mimed picking up a phone and said, "Her name is Julia Bear Tassava--T,A,V,A." Then she decided her stuffed elephant Lottie ("Yottie") needed a refill, too, and I heard: "Yottie Tassava. T as in Tom, S,S,A,V,A."

I laughed so hard. I guess it's good she gets used to the challenges of communicating our surname over the phone now; it's going to be a long, long life of "T as in Tom, A, S as in Sam, S as in Sam, A, V as in Victor, A." (SIGH.)

9 comments:

Donna said...

Hilarious! While I remember C's constant "It's TASS-a-va, not Ta-sa-va" I never thought the name was so hard. But then again, your maiden name is much easier...

BTW, Sorry to hear Genna didn't sleep thru the night last night. :( Hope she'll go back to doing it soon - tonight!!

Shan said...

Oh my, we get called (and get junk mail addressed to) Passava, Tassaza, Taffaza, Taffasa, Tavassa, Tavvaza, you name it. HATE IT, HATE IT, HATE IT, had I known it beforehand I would have kept Hyland a million times older, for my AND my children's sakes!

Christopher Tassava said...

Honey, you DID know that my surname is hard to say and pronounce: I told you!

And just to be clear - the "sigh" in Tassava is silent and unwritten.

Shan said...

I didn't know it was as bad as it is until I had to deal with it constantly. By then it was too late.

Jim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jim said...

Be happy that Christopher's Great-grnadfather renamed himself T as in Tom, A as in Art, S as in Sam, S as in Sam (again) A as in Art, V as in Victor, and A as in Art (again) because if he had not done so to our benefit you would be telling the druggist "T as in Terjo, A as in Akseli, S as in Sulevi, S as in Sulevi (again) A as in Akseli (again), V as in Veikko, I as in Ilmari, N as in Nyyrikki, E as in Einojuhani, N as in Nyyrikki (again). So be happy with the name or you could be confusing the druggist with Hilund or Hylend, or Hiland, or Hylind or whatever and you wouldn't have the two beautiful babies named Julia Tassava or Genevieve Tassava. I have been told by many that this hybrid one of a kind name is quite beautiful and that we who use it and prize its qualities are fortunate to be so named! I love it and would give it up for nothing short of death!

Shan said...

Now THERE'S an endorsement! Whew!

Heidi (Hyland) Mann said...

Or Highland.......

Mom HYLAND said...

Actually, I think it is a unique and attractive surname. Who wants to be named "Johnson"??