Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Why Do You Never Stop Asking Questions?


I think it might be time to stop listening to Justin Roberts CDs for awhile. Not because we don't love his music; we do. But because I just can't stand the questions anymore.

Here's an abridged version of Julia's lunchtime "conversation" with me today, as we listened to a favorite Justin Roberts CD on the stereo while we ate. If you're familiar with his "Yellow Bus" CD, you'll recognize the lyrics.

"Why he say, 'Be careful Mama there's a cop'?...Why 'this little piggy' on my toes?...What sound came from across the room?...Why he is scared?...What went boom boom boom?...Why his daddy came in?...What is 'symphony'?...Why it's dark out now and the stars are out now?...Why the bus is taking too long?...Why Willy walked on water?...Which kind of perfect sound?...What does 'mockingbird' mean?...What is 'please confide'?...Why he say 'cross your heart'?...Which kind of cookie jar?...Which kind of other creatures?...Why 'don't cry now'?...Why 'all eyes on you'?"

JUST BECAUSE. JUST BECAUSE. JUST BECAUSE. JUST BECAUSE.

4 comments:

Heidi said...

You should send that post to Justin Roberts somehow! That's cute as can be! (And I can *imagine* how annoying!)

Shan said...

I feel bad being annoyed by such blatant intelligent curiosity about the world, but many days the questions go from wake-up at 7 a.m. to bedtime at 8 p.m., with hardly a break in between. I have Question Fatigue!

Heidi said...

Mom wrote an article about *me* being like that at about Julia's age.... of course it's not in electronic format or I'd just send you a copy. Maybe I can go the old-fashioned route and photocopy and snail-mail it. I'm sure you'd get a kick out of it.

Jordan said...

Brutal. Once when Baxter was two he looked up at me and asked, "Why DO I ask so many questions?" (in perfect parrot of us) and then followed up with the answer: "I guess I'm just a questiony guy!" It's a favorite quote around here. Sounds like you've got a questiony girl. ;-) Soon enough she'll have her head buried in a book for hours at a time and you'll (sort of) wish she were talking to you a little more! I know you don't believe it now!