Thursday, May 31, 2007

Peer Pressure is a Wonderful Thing

Julia's most frequent playmate just started using the potty chair, and that information alone (delivered oh-so-strategically, and with much purposeful drama and excitement, by me to Christopher, with Julia within earshot) was enough to prompt Julia to try her own potty yesterday. Well, glory hallelujah for peer pressure.

I'm not counting any chickens (believe me), but in the last 24 hours Julia has sat on her potty chair numerous times, and even gone once or twice. As you may recall, she gets one M&M for trying, two if she actually goes. It didn't take her long to figure out that the way to score the most chocolate was to simply say, every two minutes, "Mama I need to try the potty," and then sit and produce nothing.

But you know what? I don't care. Let her eat a million M&Ms today. Let us alter the reward plan later on. For now I just want to give her as much reinforcement as possible for even SITTING on the chair, after all these months of refusing to go near it.

If you know me, you know how averse I am--as a health psychologist and a mom--to using food as reward. But then there is the time you're desperate for your days-away-from-three-year-old to be out of diapers and off to preschool. And you think, "Help me, M&M Mars Co."

2 comments:

Christopher Tassava said...

I learned just now that June is Potty Training Awareness Month! Maybe J. knew this...

Donna said...

And don't be surprised when a year later they ask "Mom, can I have an M&M because I peed?" even though you haven't given an M&M for peeing in, oh, eight months, but they still remember...