Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Mama Needs a Vacation

Question. Do any other full-time stay-at-home-moms get totally burned out and depleted because with this job, you never, ever get a vacation?

Don't start about how working parents don't get vacations from parenting either. I'm talking about a vacation from the work that you do every day, during the day, on Monday through Friday. I don't care if it is mothering or selling insurance or treating medical patients or teaching. If your full-time work is anything other than being an at-home parent, theoretically you get two or three weeks off per year from THAT WORK. So yes, if you have kids too, of course you still have to parent. But at least you get a break from whatever it is you do for 40 hours a week during the days.

I love my kids to death. I love being a SAHM (most of the time). But everyone needs a break from their daily work sometime, and parenting and managing the house full-time is my daily work. And I have not had a break from this work in over three years. Maybe THAT is why, instead of eliminating the film of dust from the furniture or vacuuming the upstairs or cooking anything for dinner tonight, I seem to be in an edgy-but-lethargic, unmotivated and unenthusiastic, broody, headachey rut characterized by listlessly eating Goldfish crackers while wishing they were actually chocolate, crabbily listening for the naps to end, and sighing heavily when I realize we'll probably be eating tunafish sandwiches for supper.

Anyone? ANYONE out there know exactly what I mean?

2 comments:

Elise said...

Yes. Yes, I do. And the extra sucky part is that even if I COULD get a vacation from it, I wouldn't take it, because I'd miss Chad and Ellie too much! Stupid familial ties.

Heidi said...

YES, ABSOLUTELY! I said as much not too long ago to Greg--that I needed a vacation from mothering. And--blessing of all blessings!--my mom-in-law just offered to keep Gabe for us next weekend when we and Logan go camping with Grandma and Grandpa so we parents can actually RELAX and not spend the whole camping expedition wondering if Gabriel is going to clumsily walk into a tree or fall into the campfire. Esp. since I am just newly post-gallbladder surgery and might be less useful than usual at keeping tabs on Gabe, this is a great gift to Greg, as well as to me

Yes, moms and dads DO occasionally need vacations from their kids--and it doesn't mean we love our kids any less. We just need to be refreshed and rejuvenated in order to then be BETTER parents.