Wednesday, August 22, 2007

A Little Bit Crazy

The other day, as I sat at the desk in our family room next door to the room where Genevieve was napping, wondering if the sound of my teeth crunching the hard candy in my mouth was loud enough to wake up a sleeping baby, it occurred to me that I might be a little bit crazy. Actually, that's not what I thought. What I thought was, I wonder if I will ever be able to think about noise and sleep in a normal way again?

I mean, really. Does there come a time when you no longer wonder, Is it actually safe to grind this coffee? When would that be, exactly?--when the children are teenagers, and you're trying everything in your power to get them to sleep LESS? ("It's NOON! You're sleeping away the entire day! GET! UP!")

In my defense, flushing the toilet, running the faucet for a drink of water, emptying the dishwasher, and clinking ice cubes into a glass are all actions that have awakened sleeping babies in our household, so experience has made me extremely paranoid. However. I don't think Vivi could hear the candy crunching INSIDE MY MOUTH.

Parenting young children--parenting babies--is one of those things that changes pretty much every single thing about how you live your life. It's more like moving to a new planet than moving to a new stage of life. You know--or think you do--about the big things, like how you'll never get a solid night's sleep again and how you can kiss spontaneity goodbye for a long, long time. But you'd never guess, would you, about sitting outside the baby's door pondering how loudly you're crunching the candy?

What did you never guess, beforehand?

No comments: