Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Who's in Charge Here?

You know it's a tough day when it's 1:30 and you haven't yet finished your morning coffee. Don't even ask about breakfast or lunch. I just ate some yogurt with granola, raisins, and walnuts (at least it was healthy!) and I'm not sure which meal it was.

Genevieve woke up at 4:45 this morning and refused to go back to sleep. It wasn't her fault; we got frost last night and she sleeps in the Cold Room. Since she was only dressed in a light sleeper and WILL NOT KEEP ANY BLANKETS ON. EVER! NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO!, she froze into a little baby fish stick. Aren't we bad parents? But let me point out that last week--LATE last week, people--it was 90-some degrees here. This is so typical Minnesota I can't help but shake my head. Ninety degrees! Humid! Sweaty! Then, oops! no warning: here's your 35-degree overnight low! Freeze the kids in their beds! Feel like worst parent ever! Scramble around at 7 a.m. determined to find winter blankets, comforter covers, blanket sleepers, hats, and mittens! What are those, the babies' shorts and tank tops still in their dresser drawers? Where are the long pants and sweaters? I have no idea.

Of course then there's the fact that my sweet little child is lonely at preschool and doesn't want to go. (Yes, I called the teacher(s) today. Not sure how that went. Don't feel like writing about it.) And her three little best buddies--all too young to start preschool with her this year--are just starting their new fall ECFE class today, together. How sad is that? Trust me. Very sad. You know, you try really hard to be a good parent and make all the right decisions about what your child is ready for and what she really needs. And then the first week comes and kicks your you-know-what.

Oh and did I mention that the notoriously evil and incompetent Minnesota state Board of Psychology doesn't quite feel like renewing my professional license this term? Which could in effect ruin my career? Yeah, that's just what I need right now. (It's a long story, so ridiculous as to be hard to believe, and par for the course with this group of monkeys, so I'm not gonna bore you. Just take my word on this one.)

Yeah, I'm a LITTLE BIT STRESSED.

2 comments:

donna said...

I have no other words than to say I'm so sorry, Shannon.

squab said...

Oh, wow. Can you take a freakishly long, freakishly hot bubble bath accompanied by a huge chocolate bar and a glass of wine? That's what I do when I'm feeling like that. It doesn't really change anything, but somehow I'm better able to cope when I'm warm, sweet-smelling, full of chocolate and slightly tipsy.