Friday, September 14, 2007

Nighty-Night to You, Too

I still nurse Genevieve four times a day, in part because she absolutely refuses to drink cow's milk. Her nursings are calm and normal except for her bedtime one, when many nights she's some combination of very sleepy and sort of wound up in a silly way. On those nights she acts all crazy and full of shenanigans, turning her nursing session into some kind of baby-circus act. She whips her Silky around over her head like a lasso, and occasionally flips it to the floor. She throws it over her face. She pulls my hair and my earrings. She pokes me in the mouth with one finger. She makes questioning, grunty sounds at her teddy bear, being unable to actually talk since her mouth is otherwise engaged. She kicks her feet and lifts her top leg high in the air, watching her own toes out of the corner of her eye.

Tonight she spent her bedtime nursing alternately falling asleep for a second and then slapping me in the chest just as I drifted to sleep myself (six o'clock p.m. in the cushy rocking armchair in a dim room = my energy low for the day). RUDE.

3 comments:

donna said...

My son refused cow milk, too. We switched him to cow milk by using whole milk Lactaid instead of regular whole milk because it has a sweeter taste on the tongue than regular whole milk, which is more like breastmilk.

Once he got used to the Lactaid, we started mixing the Lactaid with regular milk until he was only on whole milk.

A word of caution, you will have to wean her onto regular cow milk or she will lose her ability to make lactase and thus will become lactose intolerant. But you do have time - you can do this transition over the course of weeks (not days).

Shan said...

Hey, thanks for the tip, Donna! I had no idea.

donna said...

FYI - the science behind this is....

Structurally, lactose is a glucose and a galactose bonded together. When broken apart by lactase, you're left with glucose and galactose. Since glucose tastes sweet in the mouth (lactose does not), the milk has a sweet taste. So, Lactaid (which is just milk treated with lactase prior to consumption vs. being exposed to the lactase in the stomach) is nutritionally the same as regular milk, just easier to digest.

Good luck! Let me know how it goes.

BTW, this is a method that I came up with myself. Our pediatrician did okay it, though.

E-mail me if you want to talk about it more - and to give me an update!!