Monday, October 08, 2007

Suffering

Something nutty is going on with Genevieve's naps. (See last week and its attendant misery, tooth-gnashing, and exhaustion--on my part, I mean.) Sure, maybe it's just her cold, but maybe it really is what people keep suggesting to me: the beginning of the end of the morning nap.

Yesterday morning Genevieve refused to nap, so we got her up and got on with the day. This morning, she didn't wake up from the night's sleep until 7:40 a.m. (13 hours!). That occurrence, coupled with the fact that in the past week she has taken very short morning naps that often started late due to all the carrying on she did before finally falling asleep, made me think maybe I should just skip the nap altogether today. I knew that if she went down, it wouldn't be until 9:40, at which point she would probably fuss and cry for a good 20 minutes, and then, what? Fall asleep at ten and then not be tired when afternoon nap rolled around? Who needs that? I debated and debated. I looked at her and waffled. Finally I gravely made my decision--skip the nap, go instead to open playtime at the library--and if this had been in the movies you would have heard some very ominous music right then: big, minor-key chords that would have alerted me to my mistake in time to take it back.

Need I say that, at that crucial moment, I made the WRONG DECISION?

Poor Vivi. She was a total wreck at the library, crying over everything and scrubbing at her eyes like a college student pulling an all-nighter. Talk about a rough morning! But what can you do? You have to stay the course, people. You can't go home at 10:30 and put the baby down then--that's crazy talk; that's, like, the time that morning naps are supposed to end. If you do that you've had it for naps for the rest of the day by twelve noon.

We stayed at playtime until 11:30 and then came home for a fast, early lunch. I still had to put her down by 12:15; keeping her up until Julia went down at the normal time would have been torture. And now I'm thinking, OK. Tomorrow, after preschool drop-off? Nap. Short, long, love it, hate it--whatever. But a morning nap of one kind or another. I'm not going to relinquish this part of baby life until I have absolutely no other choice.

3 comments:

Elise said...

We're going through the same thing here, and I agree with you: I'll give that morning nap up when you pry it from my cold, dead hands. Sure, it's gone down from 2 glorious hours to 45 minutes, but I'll take what I can get. Hell, 45 minutes can be the difference between shower and no shower!

Shan said...

45 minutes! That's a good day in our household--at any age or stage--as you well know. As for two hours?! Well, as you also already know, if I didn't love you so much I'd have to hate you, for even mentioning that your baby used to nap for 2 hours at a time. Good Lord, 2 hours....what I could do with 2 hours!!

donna said...

We're going through something similar here... I think we're going to try to merge the two naps into an earlier nap. But we're not sure... In anycase, she gets one large nap at her new daycare, which she's still getting used to... I feel your pain. I really do.