Monday, December 03, 2007

Winter Wonderland

As some of you know, I haven't been terribly excited about the holidays this year. All the extra work, all the errands and cooking and to-do-listing. You know. But one of the things I decided to do to make the holidays more enticing to myself this year is keep things as simple as possible. I've got a baby and a preschooler; things are already complicated enough. Keeping things simple includes obtaining our town's smallest available (live) Christmas tree. Which we did, on Saturday.



I couldn't be happier.

In addition to experiencing the season's first snowstorm, buying and decorating the Christmas tree, and drinking an eggnog latte over the weekend (holiday-ish enough for you, all of that?!), today I bundled both girls up in snowpants and parkas and extra socks and boots and hats and mittens and took them out back in the snow with a big red sled (guess who got all the exercise out of that little outdoor play session?! It's hard work pulling two small children around on a sled! I'm already sore!). Plus, I made a recipe called "Meringue Snowmen" with Julia (Genevieve watched). Snowmen! Out of meringue! To eat! I don't even like meringue, and it's not as if my children need anymore treats right now, but we needed an activity today. (Genevieve is in the middle of dropping her morning nap, for real this time. I'm sure you don't really want me to say anything more about that.)

So I kind of feel like, in the past 2-1/2 days, I've sufficiently embraced the holiday season. Don't you agree? I mean, the meringue snowmen alone!

6 comments:

Rob Hardy said...

Cute tree, even cuter girls. I check out Christopher's blog regularly, but haven't yet surfaced in the comments on yours. I wanted to let you know that there's something for you on my blog today, here. Happy December!

Shan said...

This is one of the nicest things that has ever happened to me via my blog. And maybe even at all! Thanks, Rob!

Nonna said...

What a sweet picture of Julia and her little overalled brother, I mean sister!! Grow that hair, Genna Rose!

Shan said...

I know--Genevieve looks just like a boy in those overalls! Especially when the shirt underneath them isn't pink!

donna said...

Nonna's comment made me realize how much I take my kids' hair for granted.

Shan said...

Donna, your kids' (gorgeous) hair is one of the wonders of the world!