Saturday, January 26, 2008

And Then Some Days You Sort of Get it Right

I thought I was going to die this week, or else lose my mind: locked inside the house with a precocious, easily-bored three-year-old and a naughty-oops-I-mean-mischievous one-year-old while the weather outside went from frightful (five below zero) to downright ridiculous (thirty below zero). Oh, and who can forget the morning spent cleaning the preschool that, given the circumstances, felt quite a bit like a luxurious break from my regularly-scheduled, stay-at-home-mom duties?

But then it warmed up a bit, and we rallied, and, with the help of a couple of videos checked out from the library, the kiddos and I had a very respectable day on Friday. And I say that despite the fact that, at naptime, the baby cried (and I really mean screamed, wailed, gnashed her teeth, no doubt worried the neighbors) for 40 minutes before conking out for her requisite hour. Oh, and the preschooler didn't nap at all.

But still! We did kids' yoga! Twice! We made homemade peppermint play-doh! We went to open-playtime at the library! We built with blocks--actually built, not just tossed blocks around listlessly saying things like, "But I don't WAAAAAANT to play with blocks" while the baby wrecked everything! And in between all that, I got a ton of housecleaning done so no one has to spend all weekend doing it.

Then I gave myself the night off from cooking a homemade, nourishing dinner, and sent Christopher through the Wendy's drive-thru at five o'clock.

Gotta love Fridays.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wendy's? You? Really?

Shan said...

Well, you've got to understand: we've had fast food for dinner once in the past 3+ years. (Twice, now.) To be honest, we don't even like fast food that much, so it's really not a temptation or something we even think about. But very occasionally (like, twice in 3-1/2 years) I want a fast, cheap, hot dinner that does not involve pizza, and here in our small town, that pretty much just leaves the drive-thru. It was OK.

Rob Hardy said...

When Will was little, we used to go to the old Hardees (where Walgreens is now) just to play in the ball pit. Sometimes, we went up to the MacDonalds in Rosemount, which has a big indoor play area. Northfield could really use an indoor playground.

I loved, from Christopher's blog, Julia's sense of wonderment at the drive-thru experience. She's a cute little alien life-form.

Heidi said...

Ah, now THAT'S the supposedly perfect SAHM I have indeed often been jealous of! I KNEW she was still in there somewhere!

Nora Bee said...

What a week! I haven't been in weather that cold in my whole life, I can't even imagine.

Shan said...

Truly, I'm not a perfect SAHM. I just don't enjoy fast food. At all. And I admit, I do feel very strongly about dinner always including vegetables. Fries aren't vegetables.

Rob--ha! a cute little alien life-form! I love it. So, so true. I am smiling inside and out right now. I agree, Northfield definitely needs an indoor playground.

Shan said...

Oh, maybe Heidi was talking about the homemade Play-Doh, not the rarity of the drive-thru dinner? I don't know. But I highly recommend the homemade Play-Doh. Super easy to do, kids love it, a classic. (1 cup water, 1/2 cup salt, 2 tsp. cream of tartar--find it in the spice aisle--2 T. vegetable oil, 2 tsp. peppermint extract if you want it to smell yummy, red or green food coloring if you want it too look pretty. Cook over medium heat in a big pot, stirring constantly until it forms a ball. Cool. Play.)

Heidi said...

Homemade Play-Doh, toddler Yoga, and whatever else it was you did that day. No, drive-thru meals don't make one a perfect SAHM, though they might be "necessary" to SAHM-sanity once in awhile.