Monday, January 28, 2008

Trip to the DMV

This morning I took the girls with me to the DMV so I could renew my driver's license. I could end this post right now and half my readership would be clutching their heads, shrieking, "She did what?!", no doubt imagining a DMV trip like all my past DMV trips, the ones before I moved to a SMALL TOWN, when I would go and wait in line for literally hours, people dropping like flies all around me, dehydration setting in, everyone waiting for someone to truly lose it and pull out a weapon. Yes, I used to live in a very large city.

But that's not what this post is about.

On my way out of City Hall, one-year-old on my hip, three-year-old by the hand, juggling my handbag and car keys and errant hats and mittens, eyeing snowbanks and traffic and the best way to deposit the girls in their carseats without landing us all in a pile of slush, an elderly gentleman came walking toward us, grinning the whole way. "I bet there's never a dull moment in your house!" he said kindly. "You know it!" I laughed. He paused, shaking his head as he smiled down at my girls. "But you know, these years--it's just the best time of life, just the most wonderful time."

I assured him that I knew, and then I walked away, smiling too. It's so sweet how this kind of exchange happens to me all the time in this town, when I'm out with my daughters. It's like there are sweet grandmas and grandpas around every corner, just waiting to remind me how blessed I am.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Northfield is lovely that way :)