Thursday, February 28, 2008

Don't Give Up On Me

Just a heads up: we've got grandparents coming into town this weekend for a visit and also to stay with Genevieve while Christopher and I take Julia up to the U. hospital (about an hour away) for an outpatient surgical procedure on Monday. It's a relatively minor thing in the grand scheme of medicine (and parenting), but it involves things like way-pre-dawn wake-ups and no breakfast for the toddler undergoing general anesthesia and leaving my still-nursing baby for the day...and all that is a tad stressful and the logistics are messing with my blood pressure. Also, I haven't yet gotten to the store to buy groceries to feed everyone during this upcoming family visit, or even planned any meals.

In other words, I have other things to think about, and I probably won't be writing here until Tuesday or after.

Wish us luck, and send us good thoughts on Monday. Because even when the procedure is simple, brief, and minor (i.e. not involving any sort of incision, thank god), putting your 34-lb. three-year-old under general anesthesia is a scary proposition anyway.

7 comments:

Rob Hardy said...

My thoughts will definitely be with you. Will had an outpatient operation for a hydrocele (a kind of hernia, I guess) when he was about Julia's age. It was weird seeing him go under general anaesthetic, but on the other hand, we had never seen him go to sleep so easily. We thought, "Where can we get some of that?":)

Shan said...

Ha! We'll probably have the same reaction! ;) Ah, my girls....not huge fans of sleeping.

Christopher Tassava said...

I just hope that a) Julia can hold it together through her hunger, because that girl likes breakfast, and b) that I can hold it together through the pre-op briefing: even the literature they sent home made me choke up.

squab said...

We'll have our fingers and toes crossed for you. Even when it's relatively minor, kids + hospitals = NO FUN.

Jordan said...

Good luck, hope everything goes smoothly for Julia!

Question said...

I'll bet you're home by now. I hope everything went well with Julia and Grandma survived the day with her hearing intact.

donna said...

Hope all went well today.

And I hope your Mom is doing well (not just today, but overall, I mean).