Wednesday, March 12, 2008

What-to-Do Wednesdays: Homemade Soft Pretzels


The only reason I am able to post this today is because I wrote it in advance, before I was struck down from the Virus From Hell, which is currently making me wish that I were dead.

Back before we got sick, Julia and I tried a fun kitchen activity: making homemade soft pretzels. This is a great toddler/preschooler activity, but Genevieve was a bit too young, so unfortunately she was relegated to the audience. True to her independent self, after a few minutes she wandered off and played with her Mirror Pound-A-Ball toy by herself in the living room. (Poor Genevieve.) But Julia had a fantastic time and the pretzels turned out great. See for yourself!


Here's the recipe:

Soft Pretzels

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil, then spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.

1. Sprinkle 1 package of yeast onto 3/4 cup WARM water in a small bowl. Add 1 T. sugar and stir. Let stand until mixture foams.

2. Put 2 cups flour and 1/2 tsp. salt in large bowl. Add the yeast mixture and stir.

3. Spread a handful of flour onto the counter or a large cutting board. Knead the dough until smooth.

4. Roll pieces of dough into ropes and make different shapes: circles, letters, spirals, etc. Julia loved this part! (Note the "J" and "G" below for Julia and Genevieve.)


5. Beat 1 egg with fork, then brush onto pretzels with a pastry brush. Sprinkle with salt (coarse is best, but any type will work).

6. Bake for 15 minutes or until light brown.

1 comment:

Christopher Tassava said...

Though I could say as much about any of the recipes that get posted here, I have to say right away that these were delicious - and all the more tasty for the way Julia kept telling me, as I stuffed my face, how she and Mama made them. Y to the U to the M.