Wednesday, March 19, 2008

What-to-Do Wednesdays: Hurdles




Sometime later, I'll fill you in--I'm sure you're dying to know--on my ongoing battle with my immune system, now going on 11 days, and my THIRD consultation with a medical professional, and how being alone with the girls these past three days when feeling so sick was one of the hardest things I've done in recent years. Oh, and how I haven't yet made any plans for our trip on Friday.

But for now, let's move on to cheerier things: it's What-to-Do Wednesday!

This week's activity was Julia's idea. All on her own, she took out our collection of Genevieve's big pop-together baby beads, which we had fashioned into one long rope the day before, and laid it on the floor in a line, saying, "I'm going to do hurdles, Mama!" Then she and Genevieve ran back and forth across the room, jumping (or, in Genevieve's case, pseudo-jumping) over the makeshift hurdle each time. I can see expanding on this idea to make an indoor track-and-field course with stations for running, jumping, crawling, weaving around obstacles, etc. You could even include some throwing if you had lightweight Nerf-type or inflatable beach balls.

Construction-paper princess crowns optional. But you did know they help your hurdling, right?

No comments: