Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Longest Winter of my LIFE


I think everyone who reads this blog knows that I've had a tough winter. I'm well aware that most of my writing in the past five months has been negative and complaining. However, if it helps me get through the day, I don't worry about it too much. As far as I'm concerned, there are three types of blog readers: the ones who can relate to everything I'm going through because they're going through the same things, and for whom, therefore, my entries are a source of solace and/or humor for themselves; the ones who have been through it all already, and who feel compelled to offer me the kindness of a sympathetic comment promising me I will survive these baby years (and all the while understanding that beneath the angst is so much love and pre-nostalgia for these same baby years); and those who think I'm a whiny annoyance, who therefore should simply stop reading. So, with that in mind, let's get on with it. And by "it," of course, I mean the nonstop negativity. Ha!

So, yesterday we got a snowstorm! On March 31st, when pretty much all the snow around here had finally melted and moms all over town had begun rejoicing at the idea of daily playground visits. It snowed all day, and we got maybe six inches (?), but truly, it didn't seem bad enough for the public schools to close early. Which they did. Which meant that all the early-childhood classes were cancelled too, because they're part of the school district. Which meant that Julia missed her final music-and-movement class of the session, after waiting all last week (spring break) for the last class session and eagerly talking about the class all morning. That was disappointing, especially because there have been several days of far worse weather this winter when nothing was closed, but we salvaged the afternoon by playing "ballet class" in our playroom instead.

This morning both girls woke up cranky and uncooperative, having kept one another awake way too late (have I told you about the great room-sharing experiment, take two? no? another time, then) and awakened today way too early. At the last minute, we realized we needed to drive Christopher to work so he could snag a campus car (because I needed our sole vehicle today, to bring Julia to and from preschool) to attend an out-of-town meeting. Slippery roads, snow, slush, etc: not a fun day to bike to campus (nor a fun day to drive an hour away for a meeting, but as far as he could tell, the meeting was still on, and he needed to pick up the rental car right away). We hurried and scurried and battled the forces of dawdling toddler and cranky baby, everyone had meltdowns, but we got Daddy to work on time. Outside, the sun was coming out and the streets weren't too terrible; certainly nothing worse than we've encountered several times since December. Then we rushed home to complete our own preschool preparations, which naturally included more dawdling and meltdowns. By the time we frantically rushed out the door for school, I was officially Crabby Mom (not that I have been much else for some time). We drove down the street, around a few corners, and pulled into....a suspiciously empty nursery school parking lot.

Preschool was cancelled, because the public schools were closed this morning.

Longest winter of my life.

3 comments:

Mnmom said...

I remember once telling an ECFE leader that I needed a Shaman to come over and shake the winter blahs, toddler tantrums and illness germs out of my house . . . she offered to do the job.

Your friend in Hawaii said...

Oy. This is NOT good news for my friend who will be in Northfield next week (he works for Syngenta).

Shan said...

Don't worry, dear Hawaiian friend--the snow will be long gone by then. It's supposed to be 58 tomorrow. You remember spring in MN, right?