Friday, April 11, 2008

Looking Forward to My Massage Tomorrow

Genevieve is busy these days working my very last nerve. Today she got three time-outs, which is more than her nearly-four-year-old sister has had in her entire life. She also got up this morning at 5:30, so clearly she's trying to kill me. She likes to slap, grin, and, when scolded, smirk and slap again, harder, just to see what you're going to do about it. She goes up to Julia and pushes her, hits her, sits on her. When you make her "say" she's sorry (she can't actually say it, but we make her sign it, with an impromptu motion we made up for that very purpose), she does, smiling, and then when you tell her to give her sister a hug or a kiss, she leans in and then hits her again, still smiling. She throws the dried pasta she is playing with all over the kitchen even though you just told her no throwing the pasta all over the kitchen. She is surly as all get-out, except when she's being sassy. Those are her two current states: surly and sassy. What is she, fourteen?

I'm posting these photos here for the sole purpose of reminding myself how cute she really is. Under all that surly sassiness, I mean.





It's not really related, but we've got this Explanation of Benefits statement sitting on our desk by the computer--a listing of all the charges for Julia's outpatient surgery and the annoyingly low amount actually covered by insurance. Under "Description" it says, "SURG/ANEST"--for surgery and anesthesiology, I guess--and when I see it out of the corner of my eye I keep thinking it says "Sheer Angst." Which I guess is pretty much the same thing.

5 comments:

Mnmom said...

Well God Help You, that's all I can say. We have one of "those" at our house too. She still leaves us wrecked and stunned with her behavior even though she can be the sweetest, most thoughtful, over-achieving being on earth.

Mom said...

Your dad and I are literally laughing out loud because that description was YOU long years ago and we always said that behavior would come back to haunt you one day. Or so we hoped!! "When she was good she was very, very good and when she was bad she was HORRID!"

Christopher Tassava said...

Having spent the entire day in Vivi's company, I can appreciate both of these comments as windows into my daughter and my wife...

Mnmom said...

We used to say the exact same poem for our little blonde dynamo. My Mom used to just say she was full of piss and vinegar!
My Mom is very sadly gone, but how I wish she could be here to see me getting little girl attitude of my own back in SPADES!

donna said...

OMG. This is so much like my own daughter. She can be hell on wheels - especially if you're her older brother!! (Although, I'm glad that my daughter is better about saying sorry than G! Must be all that practice.)

She is totally adorable. (But I'm sure she knows it!!) I love the pic with pj pants (I think that's what they are) on her head!!