Friday, April 18, 2008

Parenting Rule #729

Never dare state aloud that things in your daily parenting life are going well and you are no longer tempted to sell your crabby baby to the gypsies nor run away to warmer climes. If you do dare make such claims, the following morning the baby will wake up with a runny nose (another cold? surely a cruel joke. it CAN'T be true, can it?) and will scream nonstop starting the moment Daddy leaves for work, until by only 8:30 in the morning you are already sweating and your heartbeat feels irregular and you are gulping coffee like water (energy! energy!) and frantically thinking what can be done, what can be done, to get everyone through this day in one piece.

5 comments:

Mnmom said...

This too shall pass, this too shall pass. Those days were long and oh so hard but remember - the days are long but the years are short. Northfield seriously needs some indoor play spaces for little kids and nasty weather. At least I had the disgusting Hardee's ball pit - you have nothing. Go out to Menards and play on the indoor display play pieces.

Shan said...

Oh boy, you are so right---I would have given just about anything to have indoor play options this past winter/early spring.

I wish I could more easily remember, during the most trying moments, those important points: that this too shall pass, and that the days are long but the years are short. It's so true! So paradoxical, but so true!

Genevieve cried, among other times, literally nonstop from 1:45 to 3:00. That was AFTER nap was already over for the day. (Lord help me.) Thankfully, Christopher is home now and I am off duty (well, baby duty) for the moment. I wish I had a stiff drink!

Mnmom said...

My twin #2 used to do that - cry and whine for over 2 hours AFTER naps. It was so frustrating.

Rob Hardy said...

Rule #730: Always have beer on hand for those off-duty times.

This rule explains why, even though I never personally breastfed or weaned my children (see your previous post), I still gained weight from parenting. Lots and lots of beer.

Christopher Tassava said...

Let the world note that the fridge contained three bottles of beer nd a bottle of champagne. None were opened...