Saturday, April 26, 2008

Planning Ahead

Yesterday I left my house at 6:30 a.m. to drive up to Minneapolis for day one of the annual convention of the main professional organization for psychologists in MN. Happily, and totally surprisingly, I had a great time. I ran into five or six friends, acquaintances, and former colleagues from different phases of my life, most of whom I did not know would be there and all of whom I enjoy but have not been in touch with for years. It was truly a "This is Your Life" scenario---somewhat jarring to see such faces from the past all together in one place (look, a former college professor! a family friend who's known you since you were 19! the chair of your undergrad psychology department! your postdoctoral supervisor!), but genuinely fun. And, unlike many, many professional workshops I have attended for CEUs in recent years, this conference was actually mostly INTERESTING.

I got back into town around 6:30 in the evening, only to go to bed early to get up at 5:30 this morning to drive back up for day two. Unfortunately, I was up with the baby from 3:30 to 5 a.m. Also unfortunately, it is currently snowing. You heard me.

Now is the time it might occur to you to ask, Why in the world didn't you book yourself a room at the very lovely Marriott where the convention is taking place, and stay over at the conference rather than driving up and back both days, thus saving yourself more than four hours of driving time and allowing you to not only tipsily socialize at the post-meeting wine reception with all your old friends and colleagues, but to also enjoy your first night away from your babies EVER and sleep in a big, luxurious bed in a dark, quiet room, all by yourself with no baby monitors but plenty of cable TV? And then you could have slept until 7:30 a.m. this morning instead of 5:30? After all, isn't Genevieve weaned now, so you could actually have done this? Couldn't you have justified the not insubstantial cost of the room by writing it off as a business expense?

And I would reply, Why, GOOD QUESTION! And, WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT BEFORE, OH, TODAY? And also, AM NOW PLANNING AHEAD ALREADY FOR NEXT YEAR.

4 comments:

Mnmom said...

Yes, that question did occur to me. That shows you what sleep deprivation will do to normally reasonable adults. Remember - tribal by nature!

squab said...

Yeah, OR: you have these friends? Who LIVE in the Cities? And LOVE having people to stay over? And have a pull out couch that's even kind of comfortable? That you can call last minute? YOU KNOW?!?!?!

I say it with love.

Shan said...

Um, OH YEAH! And they also happen to be two (three including Wee One) of my all-time favorite people! Sigh. I plead parenting-induced, sleep-deprivation-related dementia for my lack of conference forethought. And now that said conference is over, I am very, very tired.

Heidi said...

(Yes, I'm far behind on reading your blog.) AND the cost of the hotel room would probably *not* have exceeded the cost of the gas back and forth! (Just to make you feel a little bit *worse*....sorry!)