Wednesday, April 02, 2008

What-to-Do Wednesdays: Floor Mural


Every now and then I find myself in possession of a very large piece of paper, generally brown packing paper from a giant package or some such. Rather than throw it in the recycling, I save it for a fun activity: making a floor "mural" by flattening out the paper, taping it down on the linoleum, and letting the children loose with crayons. I just make sure the crayons are of the "washable" variety, because Genevieve isn't always so good about sticking to the paper.

The girls love the novelty of making a GIANT picture--and on the floor, no less! It's like sidewalk-chalking for bad-weather days!

5 comments:

Mnmom said...

I used to do that too! I'd tape it to the wall and let them have at it. One year my husband made an enormous chalkboard and we hung it in the garage - many happy hours on that thing too.

Mnmom said...

Actually one of their favorite winter-day activities was to go "swimming" AKA letting them wear their swim suits in the tub. I'd bring my hot coffee, sit the hallway listening, with a book, and they'd be happy for about an hour.

Shan said...

Ah! Julia JUST asked me last night if we could do that (swimming in the bathtub). We did it in January! However, with my girls, it was good for only 25 minutes. And that included the dressing and undressing. :( But, better than nothing! Right?!

Mnmom said...

25 minutes will get you a cup of coffee at least! If you give them a plastic set of tea cups and dishes, you could probably get an extra 10 minutes.

Shan said...

That's a great idea! Thanks! I will try it for sure!