Friday, May 30, 2008

Is It September Yet?

The title of this post is a direct quote from my fellow SAHM friend Connie. She uttered it at seven this morning so, you know, Lord have mercy on her. And on me too, because that's exactly how I feel this morning, a morning which is still, I remind you, ONLY THE FIRST FULL WEEK SINCE PRESCHOOL LET OUT. I need pharmaceuticals.

So far this morning I have spent pretty much every waking moment arguing with Julia about not watching TV today (update: she is currently watching TV. Because OTHERWISE I WILL LOSE MY EVER-LOVING MIND. Don't bother reminding me that it's not good to tell your children no TV today, and then later on give in and let them watch TV. I know this. I also know that I am THIS CLOSE to running out the front door), about how no it is not snacktime yet simply because she is bored, and about how she can possibly be bored already at 8 a.m. during the first full week since preschool let out. Then there's Genevieve, who has thrown tantrums today about: getting cleaned up after breakfast; washing her face and brushing her teeth; getting her diaper changed; getting dressed; and NO IT IS NOT SNACKTIME YET.

Seriously, I know I'm supposed to be all about the Gratitude today, and though my blood pressure is rising and I'm considering running away from home, I'm going to give it a quick, sweaty try:

lilacs, coffee, mercy playdates ("Please come over and play with us today and save us from ourselves"), running, "The Office" on DVD.

What are you grateful for today? The fact that you're not currently arguing with a three-year-old and listening to a baby scream about getting dressed? Or maybe that's EXACTLY what you're doing today, too, in which case I say, Thank you for letting me know I'm not alone in this.

5 comments:

Mnmom said...

I had a quick coffee with Christopher today, and we talked about the "joy" of small children.

I'm off for the rest of the day - want me to come over and tell you that you're doing an excellent job, and that YES it's really, really hard and just the toughest thing you'll ever endure even worse than labor?? Because I can tell you that - I've been there and was quietly deranged for a good part of it. Oh who am I kidding? I was out of my mind when I wasn't asleep.

My teen can't wait to meet your kids and so some babysitting. That is, if you feel comfortable with that. I know there were some days I'd let Leona Helmsley watch my kids just so I could leave for a few minutes.

Anonymous said...

I totally hear you. My five-year-old is currently watching "Word World" on PBS while the two-year-old naps. The five-year-old woke up this morning with, ta da: strep throat!! I am plotting a trip to Starbucks after naptime today.

I also well know the TV battle. Once the five-year-old stopped napping at age four (and "quiet time" in her room became "one hour in which I scream/yell/cry to come out of my room and subsequently drive my mommy crazy and most days wake up my baby sister"), I decided that an hour of PBS Kids per day was worth it for my sanity's sake. I console myself with the fact that we don't have cable, so they don't watch crap TV when they do watch it.

Hang in there. I feel your pain. My girls painted in their undies for an hour this morning, and the baby is still not dressed, other than her diaper. Some days, you pick your battles. Know what I mean? Anon. in Georgia

Mnmom said...

My kids watched TV, and sometimes more than an hour a day and they are all straight A students who read quite a bit, are active in sports, active in music, up on current events, and leaders in their schools. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Shan said...

OK, thanks everyone. :) You both made me feel a lot better. MNmom, yes I am interested in your girls doing some babysitting this summer. I wish you lived down our block. When our company leaves after this weekend and things settle down a bit, C. and I will get in touch with you about meeting etc. Thanks!

Heidi said...

Shannon, when *I* feel the need to "change my mind" after having "laid down the law," I teach Gabe the fine art of NEGOTIATION -- a very practical, real-life skill he will need for years to come. Seriously. "OK, honey, I know you REALLY want to watch TV. How can we make this work? *I* REALLY want you to pick up your toys. If you pick up your toys, then I'm fine w/ one show. Shall we shake on it?" TRULY! We do this -- even the shaking-hands part. Only trouble is, now when *he* REALLY wants something, he'll come up to me, grab my hand, and say, "OK, here's the deal; I watch 'Blue's Clues.' Let's shake hands." And then *he* shakes my hand and assumes it's a done deal!!!