Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Love From the Blogosphere


How sweet is this? My dear blogging friend Rob was in a bad mood today, so what did he do? Having recently been the lucky recipient of the Blogging Friends Forever Award (see above--so cute!), Rob kept the love circulating and picked me to be the next recipient of this happy little trophy. If that weren't nice enough, he also wrote some very kind and generous words about me on his own blog. Rob says this award has been passed from one admiring blogger to another since last February, and I am honored and flattered to receive it from such a great fellow-writer friend. Seriously---to be called a "heroic blogging mama"? Nicest thing ever. Thank you, Rob!

Of course the best part about a blog award is passing it on. Rob said he was bestowing this award in a highly selective manner by giving it only to a stay-at-home-mom. I like this idea. Being a SAHM is never easy, but I think it goes without saying that managing even one complete thought is hard enough when surrounded by the constant demands of small children, let alone stringing together enough sentences to compose a lucid online essay. OK, maybe blog posts aren't always profound, but sometimes they are, and to me, they're always a way to connect with other people going this challenging road. Yesterday I read Heather Armstrong's dooce.com post addressing the current negative buzz about all us parent-bloggers "exploiting" our children and violating their privacy by writing about them online. Athough these worries sometimes keep me up at night too, I love what Heather has to say here about the emotional value of this mommy-blog mega-trend: how it's a revolution in social connection during what is so often an isolating, overwhelming stage of life, and how all of us parent-bloggers are part of a giant movement toward talking about the hard parts of parenting small children, which is not only a good thing, but, perhaps more importantly, is also a radical act.

I guess that's all a long and convoluted way to say I'm giving the Blogging Friends Forever Award to my brilliant, talented, beautiful, and hilarious friend Snarky Squab. I'm lucky enough to have her as a real-world friend as well as a blogging one, and if anyone (else) is a heroic blogging mama, it's her.

4 comments:

Rob Hardy said...

You are quite right when you say that blogging, for a SAHM (or stay-at-home father) is "a revolution in social connection during what is so often an isolating, overwhelming stage of life." Some sort of meaningful connection outside of the home is essential for sanity. Writing is essential (or was for me) for sanity.

But now that I have teenagers, I have to respect their wishes not to be blogged about (though I've told you some stories about their younger years). "Oh, my God," Will says. "Why would you do that? Everybody will read it." I'm flattered, at least, that he has such an inflated sense of my audience.

Mnmom said...

Good Choice!!! I love her blog!
I was a SAHM from 1994 until 2004, and it was the hardest 10 years of my life.

squab said...

Aw, shucks. I'm not worthy!! But I'm honored by the award, and I'll have to think hard about who to pass it along to!

Shan said...

Rob makes a very valid point about blogging about older children. I think often--maybe even daily--about at what age I will stop blogging about Julia and Genevieve. I actually don't think it will be too far in the future when I decide, as I've heard it described by others who have given up the process, that my daughters' "stories are their own." It doesn't always feel right to write about them, at all, but as Rob says, when they are so little, maintaining a blog about my experiences mothering them preserves my sanity, too. Maybe just "private" writing would do that, in part, but for me, the parent-blogosphere has played a very large, crucial role in my survival as a SAHM, ever since I became one in 2004. I can't really overstate how much it has helped me, over the years, to have a way to connect socially and emotionally with other adults (parents) during the day--many days during which I don't talk to another adult all day long, or do so only minimally. That was no doubt even more true for me when my baby (babies) were new and I did not yet have playgroups and preschool and tumbling class and all the activities that come later and put one in necessary contact with other parents. But it's still true today, too.