Tuesday, May 13, 2008

(Nearly) The End of Year One



Next week is Julia's last day of preschool for the year. I kind of thought that I'd be wearing short sleeves, and going coat-less, by the penultimate week of preschool.

It's hard to believe that my oldest child's first year of school--if only the neighborhood co-op nursery school--is ending. To me, she and her little classmates look the same as always; but then I see home video of last September, when preschool began, and see that she looks completely different now: so much taller, so much of the toddler belly and the plump baby cheeks and chubby arms gone! Her classmates, upon closer inspection, are all longer and leaner as well, with different eyes, more confident smiles. They're all little kids now, no toddler left in them. How did that happen?

We've all changed, even the parents. As for myself, I came to this first preschool experience cautious and concerned ("Remember preschool orientation and how nervous we all were?!" a friend of mine asked laughingly the other day, and yes, I do. "I was a wreck! By the end of the line of forms and sign-up sheets and the tables of t-shirts for sale, I was sweaty!"), and I'm leaving as the president of the board. I have three more years ahead of me with girls in this school; I'm happy and relieved that it feels like home, a safe place to leave my babies for a few hours a week, to learn, among other things, who else can love them.

The preschool year closes out with "Track and Field Day" this Thursday (wouldn't you just LOVE to see that?!), and with a family ice cream social next week on the last day of school. Where I'm sure a few other mamas will get a little nostalgic too, thinking of that week last September--those tables of forms and t-shirts, the sign-up sheets, the nerves.

2 comments:

Mnmom said...

I drive by our preschool and get all choked up - those years flew by in a heart beat.

Anonymous said...

Definitely gotta have video on track and field day!!