Monday, May 05, 2008

A Tough Day to be a Baby


Genevieve is having a rough day. She started out with a mega-tantrum at 7 a.m., which never bodes well, does it? Christopher guessed by her sour mood that she is teething, and gave her some baby Tylenol. I think he was right, because at naptime, amidst tears and drama, she was chewing on her entire thumb and drooling. In between breakfast and nap, she threw a big tantrum on the steps of the post office, screamed about the stroller until I bribed her with dry cereal, and threw another tantrum at home about having to wait five minutes for lunch. Oh, and also about her shoes. Always the shoes.

To make matters worse, at the library this morning another baby--a boy about her age, I would guess--knocked her down, making her cry. His mom bid me a quick, fairly mortified "Sorry!", but mainly just whisked him away as fast as possible and didn't say another word to me or Genevieve about it, even when her son tried to do it again just moments later. Here's my judgmental rant for the day, by the way. If MY baby hurts another child, even if it's by accident (and this didn't seem to be), here's what I do: I react with shocked concern and an appropriate level of upset, look the other toddler in the eye and apologize, apologize to the fellow parent with actual eye contact, ask if the child is okay, and take my baby by the arm over to the child she harmed to "say" she's sorry. I would never, EVER pick up my baby and run away as fast as possible to escape the situation, no matter how mortified I might be. What about teaching small children about empathy and making things right when they hurt someone else? Sorry, but I'm fully comfortable being totally annoyed by and judgmental about that little fellow-parenting incident. Poor Genevieve!

6 comments:

Mnmom said...

Poor Genevieve indeed! Give her a cold wet washcloth to chew on.
Welcome to the world of "other parents". They will NEVER cease to amaze. My 14-yr-olds are constantly invited with friends to roam the Mall of America without adult supervision - to which of course we say "No, and HELL No".
But I have to say I've also eaten so many of my own words that I'm ready to choke.

Mnmom said...

Speaking of kids, I have two great 14-year-olds who would just LOVE to do some babysitting if you are in the market. They come with references. Anytime just let us know.

Mnmom said...

Me again!!
For the upcoming summer, I recommend you hire a 10 or 11 year old "mother's helper" for those days at the pool. You'll need a second set of hands.

Rob Hardy said...

I love that photograph and the "don't mess with me" look on Genevieve's face.

Shan said...

Oh boy, MNMom--I will have to talk to you about your daughters doing some babysitting for sure!

Anonymous said...

Bad Mom strikes again....