Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Tuesday Do-Little Dinners: Salmon Pasta Salad

Over the weekend Christopher accidentally bought a gigantic salmon fillet. I mean, he meant to buy salmon (on the grocery list); it's just that he didn't realize how huge the salmon fillet he was buying actually was. I made two meals with regular baked salmon as an entree, and yesterday I decided to use up the leftover fillet by tossing it with some pasta. However, in doing so, I accidentally made way too much pasta, forgetting that a.) Genevieve hates pasta, and b.) we weren't having an entire other family over for dinner last night. Apparently we are going to be eating salmon for the rest of our natural lives. Because that bowl of salmon pasta salad I threw together yesterday afternoon? ENORMOUS.

Anyway, I might as well use my culinary experiment as fodder for Tuesday Do-Little Dinners, no? If YOU happen to have any leftover salmon at your house, you might try tossing it (cooked and flaked, of course) with cooked pasta, green peas (frozen, but thawed), chopped tomatoes (use canned until it's proper tomato season, but drain WELL), green olives, and a dressing made from olive oil, lemon juice, dried or fresh dill, minced/pressed garlic, dijon mustard, salt, and pepper, and then chill the whole thing before supper. If you were me, you would then wish you had also included slivered red onion and/or more garlic and pepper. You would also toss some grated Parmesan cheese into the bowl.

Sorry, I don't have exact amounts for you. It doesn't really matter; just use as much or as little of everything as looks good to you. Although if you're using a full box of pasta (my fatal error), for the dressing you might try something like 1/3 cup oil, 1/3 cup lemon juice, 1-2 T. mustard, 1 tsp. dried dill, 1-2 cloves garlic, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. pepper. Whisk together, then taste it and adjust to your own liking. You may like more dressing than this amount, also. Do as you please; it's easily expandable.

Serve with a green salad and some breadsticks, and although it's tasty, hope you don't have to eat it for the next three days straight. Yikes.

1 comment:

squab said...

I just did the exact same thing for lunch today - thought I'd whip up a little chicken pasta salad for me and a friend, and ended up with enough to feed about eight people. I dunno if it's coming from a large family or what, but I always seem to cook for at least three times as many people as are actually eating!