Thursday, May 08, 2008

Way Too Early

This morning I was maddeningly awakened very early by birds chirping outside and dawn light seeping in around the window shade. I laid there in bed for a long, LONG time before I finally checked the clock, thinking it would be at least 6:15, time for the alarm clock to ring and 15 minutes past the time the girls often start to stir--at least, now that it gets light so early and now that they share a room, both of which have caused Julia to abandon her previous 7-7:30 wake-up time.

Alas, when I checked the clock, it was only FIVE-THIRTY. Did I mention that I had already been lying there awake for a LONG TIME? This is why I constantly have the dark circles of the overtired under my eyes, despite the fact that I haven't had a night-nursing baby in over a year. This is also why I have recurrent fantasies about a night in an upscale hotel, where the draperies are heavy-duty black-outs and the room is silent.

A few minutes after I discovered it was only 5:30, Genevieve woke up too. She probably noticed the light and the birds too. I have a feeling the summer days are going to be long ones.

6 comments:

Mnmom said...

It's the curse of living in an otherwise wonderful northern region. Sad to tell you it doesn't get much better. For mother's day this year I'd like to go to bed at 11 with a book, sleep until 9am, and have NO ONE enter the room and ask me where their soccer cleats are, or remind me that their softball uniform HAS to be washed by Thursday, nor to tattle on their sister.

Christopher Tassava said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christopher Tassava said...

I can't be sure, Mnmom, but I think the only place that's possible is here.

squab said...

My personal recipe for combating the early wakeups? 1) Tylenol PM and a sleep mask for moi. 2) Tinfoil on the bedroom windows for Ellie. That latter is an idea I stole from Dooce, and I gotta say, it works LIKE A CHARM. Sure, it means she doesn't get to enjoy the view out her bedroom window, but frankly, it's not that great a view in the first place and as long as I'm in charge, we will choose sleeping over translucent windows every time.

Mnmom said...

Christopher - good one!
Squab - I'd forgotten about that one! I used very dark fabric pinned over the windows. Wow, that was a memory I had repressed.

Shan said...

I have also seriously considered Dooce's idea about the aluminum foil. May VERY WELL try that.