Wednesday, May 28, 2008

What-to-Do Wednesdays: Homemade Finger Paint

I put off making homemade finger paint for a long time, I guess because I feared it would be too difficult or complicated, or that one would need a special Homemade Finger Paint Talent Gene, which I wasn't sure I possessed.

Let me assure you, one does not. It is easy, and even if you screw up a little bit and overcook it, ending up with an art material that is a bit on the....gelatinous side (some, upon arriving home from work and surveying the results of our art project, would say mucous-like, only they would use a much ruder word accompanied by an also-rude miming gesture meant to bring to mind nasty head colds, and they would be glared at for their impolite behavior), it still works just fine and guess what? One- and three-year-olds don't even care. And they LOVE stirring up the ingredients (the non-cooking parts, of course) and squeezing in the food coloring. Even Genevieve helped!

So have at it! Here's what you do:

1. Mix 1/2 cup cornstarch and 4 T. sugar in a large pot.
2. Add 2 c. cold water and stir.
3. Cook mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly until it becomes thick. (Here is where I overdid things, people. I don't know how thick it should be. Not as thick as I let it get.)
4. Remove pot from heat and let cool.
5. When cool, divide mixture into small plastic containers and add food coloring.
6. Use to finger-paint on paper, paper plates, or cookie sheets.

See how pretty!


See how messy! And happy!




See end result!


I do have to say that quite a bit ended up in Genevieve's mouth. Mmmmm, colored cornstarch goop...

2 comments:

Mnmom said...

We did lots of fingerpaint from 1996 - 2005, and I think I finally cleaned the last of it off the kitchen table and chairs over the weekend.

Nonna said...

Looks like lots of bowls of beautifully bright jello! Yummy!