Wednesday, May 21, 2008

What-to-Do Wednesdays: Try Not to Lose Your Mind

Oh, wait a minute: "what-to-do" is supposed to refer to the CHILDREN, isn't it? Not the frazzled mom? Oops. Well, in that case, here's an idea from my friend Connie, something I grew up doing but that we have not yet done in this household due to a lack of paintbrushes---a problem to be ameliorated this weekend with a trip to Menard's. So, what's the idea, you ask? Oh yes. Um....WATER-PAINTING OUTSIDE ON THE DRIVEWAY. With big fat paintbrushes and buckets of water. Fun in the sun. Go for it!

More later. I'm busy---took the babe up to the children's hospital this morning for some medical tests and she--damnit!--fell asleep in the car on the way home during OUR LAST 15 MINUTES OF THE DRIVE. You know what that means, don't you? No more nap after that. Yes, that's right. Even though the child woke up, as usual, at 5:30 this morning, she seems to feel that a 15-minute surprise cat-nap in the car is sufficient sleep for one day (Gotcha, Mama! I know; I NEVER sleep in the car! Never in my whole life! But today I did! At the very last moment! So now you don't get a nap out of me at home, even though it's naptime! Ha!). I, on the other hand, am shaking my head at the gods above, because: Seriously? THIS is the day she chooses to "nap" in the car? Not on a 300-mile road trip that spans the entire day, but on the way home from the hospital, 15 minutes before I can pull into my driveway and hustle them both to bed? Seriously?

Sigh. Go do some water-painting for me. Have fun. Talk later.

8 comments:

Rob Hardy said...

For my little nephew (Genevieve's age), this would have been a day full of entertainment on my street: paving. Steamrollers! Dump trucks! His idea of heaven.

Shan said...

Wow, that would be fun! Our drive up to Minneapolis and back was made easier than usual due to the construction on/around Highway 62. Genevieve has a book about road construction called "Easy Street" that she is obsessed with. So, it was very exciting to drive past miles of construction vehicles and mountains of dirt. Guess it's not just a boy thing!

Mnmom said...

I feel your pain, I really really do. We did a lot of "painting" with water.

CKH said...

This probably won't work for you, with two children, but I have stashed snack bars, a blanket, and a number of books in our car JUST FOR ME so that when Anya falls asleep during the last fifteen minutes of our drive, I can pull up to the house or into the garage and get all cozy and comfortable for the next thirty-to-forty minutes, just so she can KEEP SLEEPING because she hasn't napped in her bed in two years.

Shan said...

ckh, yeah, unfortunately a.) can't do that with two kids, and b.) when I did try that with Julia as an infant (the one or two times she ever fell asleep in the car! no exaggeration, it might have been once in her whole life), she woke up the second the car was turned off. Genevieve did too, yesterday. I've heard of these babies that keep sleeping, and even of babies who stay asleep during the transfer out of the carseat and into hte crib, but they don't exist in my family.

Mnmom said...

I used to that too - get my coffee, and a good book, and hit the road with the twins. They would often snooze another 20 minutes in the driveway. Im sure the neighbors thought I had lost my mind, well, perhaps I had.

Anonymous said...

Yep. We have non-transferable sleeping babies here, too. I can commiserate with you. Mine also get up early each day, no matter how late they may have been up the night before. It defies nature, I tell you (and drives mommy and daddy crazy). Who are these alleged children who sleep until 8 and 9 a.m???? Love the painting with water idea. I forsee a lot of that (plus generous helpings of sidewalk chalk and bubbles) in our summer plans. This is Anonymous in Georgia, by the way. : )

Shan said...

Anonymous in GA: believe me, I have learned well that keeping the babes up late only results in them waking up even earlier. There is actual pediatric neuroscience behind this (see the Marc Weissbluth book on babies/children and sleep), but it sure is backward, isn't it?!