Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Tuesday Do-Little Dinners: Broccoli-Cauliflower-Raisin Salad

I'm back, people, and still cooking. Did you miss me for dinner last week? I trust you found your own way to a healthy, quick, and easy supper, and if you're anything like my friend Rob, you might even have cooked something overly ambitious and ridiculously impressive. While tipsy.

I tried a new recipe last night. It was very tasty, so I thought I'd pass it along here. The recipe as discovered was a vegetable side dish, which is all well and good, but below I am adding some chickpeas to transform it into a vegetarian summer entree. Add a starch of some sort--crusty bread, homemade biscuits, cornbread, whatever you like--and maybe some fresh in-season fruit, and you're set. (Note: If you need a bit more dressing with the addition of the chickpeas below, maybe increase the oil and vinegar amounts to 1/3 cup each.)

Broccoli-Cauliflower-Raisin Salad


6 cups fresh broccoli florets
3 cups fresh cauliflower florets
1 15-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup raisins
1/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted or plain
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. honey
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 tsp. red hot pepper flakes
1/2 tsp. dried basil

Bring 2 inches of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add broccoli, bring to second boil, then simmer for 2 minutes or until broccoli is bright green and tender-crisp. Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again. Repeat with cauliflower.

In a large salad bowl, layer half the broccoli, half the cauliflower, half the chickpeas, half the raisins, and half the walnuts. Repeat the layers. Cover and chill.

In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine remaining ingredients to make dressing. Shake well to combine. Shortly before serving, pour dressing over the salad.

3 comments:

Christopher Tassava said...

Let me give this a five-star rating because holy cow is it good.

Rob Hardy said...

Sounds great. I like cauliflower!

We're planning to invent a new salad with quinoa, orange, basil, red bell pepper, and fontina cheese. I'll let you know if it turns out well. The basil and orange are leftover from our alternative mojitos (basil, orange and vodka instead of mint, lime and rum).

Shan said...

I have another great recipe I'll be posting soon, that is a cold couscous salad also involving basil and orange. YUM.