Monday, July 07, 2008

Busy Mamas Embrace the A.M.!

This morning I did something TOTALLY UNCHARACTERISTIC. Something you'd never expect of me. Something I have often considered impossible.

That's right: I went running at 6:30 a.m. Oh, not shocking enough for you? Perhaps you'd feel differently if you knew that I've been a regular exerciser for a nonstop 20 years or more, and during that time, I have gone for an early-morning, pre-workday run perhaps two times. TOTAL. Or if you knew that I am so much not a morning person that I find it difficult to speak to anyone during my first hour up. Or if you reminded yourself that since becoming a mom four years ago I've pretty much been constantly sleep-deprived (just like every other mother, of course), and that I'm one of those people for whom lack of sleep has dramatic physical and emotional effects. (I'm not one of those people who can nonchalantly power through a few sleep-deprived days and shrug it off; I'm more the person who starts to feel dizzy, achy, and mentally unbalanced.)

But, when Genevieve woke up at 5:30 this morning and I contemplated the fact that I never, ever fall back to sleep at that point, I thought to myself, It's only going to get hotter and windier, and I'm only going to be more tired, at 5 p.m., or 7 p.m., or 9. Plus, who cares if I'm so anti-early-morning that I don't want to interact with anyone when I first wake up? If I'm running, I won't be interacting with anyone!

Somehow I talked myself into it. When I came downstairs in running clothes, Christopher, who was feeding the baby her breakfast, just about fell over. His mouth actually gaped open. But I did it; I ran my four miles, at 6:30 a.m., and I did it before ingesting any coffee, people. It was truly a miracle. And you know what? I'm a total convert. It was so unbelievably great, all day long, to have already run. It solves all my problems: the problem about being too tired after chasing two small children all day long to exercise; the problem of the intense heat and glaring sun at 5 p.m.; the problem of how to cook dinner and go running at the same time; the problem of being up too late at night because I'm running, cooling down, cooking, eating dinner, participating in the bedtime routine, stretching out, and showering all during the evening hours; the problem of juggling workouts and evening commitments. Plus! I'M AWAKE AT UNGODLY EARLY HOURS OF THE MORNING ANYWAY. Why the hell aren't I running then?

I'm in love.

Of course I've only done this once. So check back with me on, um, Wednesday, to see if I've stayed strong. Oh, and I'll admit: I certainly cannot imagine running at 6 a.m. in the dead of winter, when it's pitch-black outside AND a thousand-million degrees below zero. Though I know some crazy folks who do. (Power to the crazy folks!)

Run on!

No comments: