Monday, July 21, 2008

A (Relatively) Well-Rested Mama is a Happy Mama


On Saturday the furniture store switched out our new mattress for a firmer model, and I AM IN HEAVEN. OK, so I'm still looking a little pale (as always), but people--I've just enjoyed two nights in a row of sleeping straight through from bedtime until Christopher's alarm clock at 6:15 a.m. NO PRE-DAWN SLEEPLESSNESS. NO WAKING UP AT FOUR OR FIVE IN THE MORNING. NO INABILITY TO FALL ASLEEP. NO INSOMNIA.

Of course, this also means I'm not doing those morning runs. Because if I'm not already awake at five, I'm certainly not going to wake myself up early to go running. I mean, what am I, crazy?

6 comments:

Mnmom said...

Ahhhhh, sleep. Enjoy lots of it before you become perimenopausal. Then the whole circus starts again. Aren't I just Little Mary Sunshine??

Rob Hardy said...

Here's my recipe for a good night's sleep: get almost no sleep the night before, drive five hundred miles from the UP to Northfield, then take two Tylenol PM. It worked for me last night!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, la la...sweeiie, you look like a total hottie! Seriously, girlie, you look fabulous! I can't wait to see you :)

Shan said...

MNMom: Ah yes, perimenopause. If my hormonal insomnia fits of pregnancy and breastfeeding were any indication, I'm going to spend those years pretty much wide awake, burning hot, all night every night.

Rob: It's been a hard, sleepless month, my friend. Glad you're back and that your sleeping was done at home and not behind the wheel. Also: 500 miles = the reason we never, ever travel to see Christopher's extended family up there. Considering the fact that mine is 300 miles away, and that is torturous enough with our particular brand of small children. I will patiently await later years, when long road trips are possible (I won't say pleasurable).

And to "Anonymous": If I ever eradicated the permanent dark circles of early motherhood, I'd REALLY look hot! Kisses. See you soon.

Question said...

Can I just complain for a moment? If Winning the Lottery (like it?) weren't bad enough, I am going to enter perimenopause during my treatment. And I probably won't swing back when the chemo is complete.

Shan said...

Uh, yeah--Question, that is just about the most unfair side effect ever. ARGH! Some lottery!!!